Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    16:10 Aspect Ratio a Thing of the Past on Laptops?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

16:10 Aspect Ratio a Thing of the Past on Laptops?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted
from Electronista:

Ultra-wide notebooks at Dell, Apple, more?

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted Hide Post
I could see this as an advantage. I have a MacBook and it is nice when I am at home to have the second monitor. More room side to side for cutting and pasting between two files would be a great advantage in my opinion. I don't know why the article was just about having a better movie viewing experience

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Kirk: this change drops the number of pixels on the screen. 16:10 is larger than 16:9. You get less screen "real estate."

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted Hide Post
I think I got that. I'm referring to the need to use the movie experience as the measure of the screen usability. Sure I've watched movies on my screens but I think more in terms of how many browser windows can I place side by side or how big I can make the Photoshop window with palettes.
I know not everyone uses Photoshop and everyone who owns a computer has probably run a movie on it. There just seems to be so much more to using a computer than to use how big the movie is going to be as a common denominator example.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I can understand you're seeing this as an advantage, since you wouldn't have the black "letterboxing" above and below the movie.

I am hoping that Apple develops its laptops and desktops into "set top" boxes, which act like modern multimedia machines, feeding appropriate signals to various display devices. I don't think any of Apple's products has developed that far yet - even Apple TV. Apple needs to program the graphics chips to control all aspects of output. Apple needs to enable ColorSync for movie and video playback as well. Forget what Hollywood and SMPTE want: just do it like Apple did with Firewire (I guess they had help from Sony & TI on that one).