Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Airport Express Airtunes Playback issue
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airport Express Airtunes Playback issue
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted
This used to work and for a long time. Not sure when it stopped working.

Two computers:
MacBook 2 GB RAM 10.4.9
iBook 1.25 GB RAM 10.4.9
iTunes 7.1.1 on both
AE for main internet, AE2 for Airtunes - client.

I can stream music from the iBook just fine but from the MacBook it stutters (plays for 2 seconds, pauses for two seconds, starts again). I have tried several things; a test user on the MacBook - same results, iBook picking up MacBook iTunes library via sharing it plays the MacBook library just fine, MacBook playing iBook library stutters on playback. Reset the AE soft and hard. Nothing seems to help.

Got any ideas? Change ports - how?

Linda

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linda,

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
I take it you are using wireless? If so, you might try changing channels on the base station. Under the Airport config for the base, change the channel from Automatic to a number. try a few different ones.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Interference?:
Cordless phone operating at 2.4GHz
Microwave oven

Also, the latest AE firmware has caused me problems. So I have stepped it back to 6.1.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Yes, wireless.

Tried every channel, didn't help.

Linda

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
What type of network do you have (b/g/n. b only, g only, etc)?

What encryption?

Is the AE set to full strength?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
No microwave, no 2.4 GHz phones.

Changed the multicast to 5.5, the interface robustness is checked and the transmitter power to 50%. All things the Apple discussion boards and Apple support sites recommend.

b/g with one g and two b computers.

No encryption.

Linda

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
No encryption?!? Ack.

Try b only. If you can get good streaming with b only, then you're hooked for all systems. If not, try g only, just as a test. If that works, then there's some sort of interference.

I'd also turn the power all the way back up, and "interference robustness" off.

Then turn on some encryption! (and see if it still works). Even crappy WEP is better than nothing, but since you're all AirPort, you should be doing WPA.

===

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Try going back to firmware 6.1.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
I turned off the encryption to see if that might be a problem. Ok? it's back on.

Restored all the power, changing it didn't help anyway.

Can't do a b only network or the MacBook-that-won't-stream.... won't work on the b-only network.

Downloading the 6.1 firmware as I'm typing.

Linda

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Reset both AE to 6.1. Hard reset them both (I even swapped their locations) Completely reset my entire wireless connection, including my modem (what the heck... I was right there). No change. Yes, I put encryption on.

Airtunes works on the iBook, G4 and G5 but not the MacBook.

Correction to earlier post, iBook is G. So I have a G machine working with Airtunes.

FYI, I have left my AE on 6.1.

Wish I could rollback iTunes and see if that is it but it works on the other machines in the house. Plus the latest ipods need 7.1 (I think)

Could it be that this is an Intel Mac? I honestly cannot remember if Airtunes has ever worked on this machine. If that's the case, I need to relax and listen to music more, I've had this machine a while now.

Linda

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The MacBook won't work on a b-only network? Something is very wrong with it then, It absolutely should work in b-only.

Try booting to safe mode (hold down the shift key while booting) to clear out caches and repair the disk, then boot back to normal and see if b works (or streaming via G).

If that doesn't work, you might consider applying the 10.4.9 combo updater.

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I should read the whole warning or not do technical stuff late at night.....

I thought it said it would connect on a b network, clearly it says it won't connect at g speed on a b network.

Makes me think of Terry's joke he posted the other day about what we think we see......

Screen Shot

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Dropped the whole network down to b, took the G4 off line. Now there are only g machines connected.

Still won't stream without breaking up.

This may mean a trip to the Apple Store. Clearly, this is my machine and not the network.

Linda

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Since taking the G4 offline, all machines on the network are g, I made my network g only.

No go.

Linda

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Try installing the combo updater. This may wipe out any patches from after (I think that's just the security patch).

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Which combo updater? If you mean the AE 6.1.1, I did that.

Linda

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
OS X 10.4.9

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Jack,

I am running 10.4.9. Are you suggesting I install the combo as a free standing update?

Safe boot made, repaired permissions, twice. Emptied the cache, nothing.

L

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Yes. I do this often after an update if things act flakey. Download the combo update (and all updates after) and re-install them one at a time to see if things get fixed.

===

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
Jack,

Did the combo update, no go.

Tried to install iTunes 6.1 (I'm sure it worked way back then) computer won't let me. Trashed current itunes and everything with it. Still it won't install, I think my OS is too up to date.

Any other thoughts?

Linda