Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    Aria Extreme-n card updates Intel Macs to 802.11n
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aria Extreme-n card updates Intel Macs to 802.11n
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted

This WiFi card actually replaces the 802.11g card that shipped with some Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Intel-based iMac and Mac mini systems, mounting in the same slot.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:

This WiFi card actually replaces the 802.11g card that shipped with some Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Intel-based iMac and Mac mini systems, mounting in the same slot.

I take this is one of those things Apple does not want you to do yourself if you want to preserve your Warranty or AppleCare right?

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Hmmm? I don't know. Ask Dave if Apple can tell if you've been inside your computer (or not). Obviously a Sonnet card would be a dead giveaway - but maybe you could slip the original card back in if you need some Apple Care? It appears that only Apple Pro's give buyers the option of no WiFi.

This Sonnet Aria Extreme-n card brings up some other interesting questions, like:

1. Is it better than Apple's OEM equipment? Better throughput, better range?
2. How compatible is it? Are there any side-effects with other hardware or applications? Does the firmware need to be upgraded by you?

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
3rd party products (ie: RAM, Sonnet upgrades) in your Mac covered by AppleCare COULD possibly void said extended warranty. If you were to upgrade your Mac, I would suggest you keep the old parts handy IF you needed service.

I would have no problem recommending this upgrade from Sonnet Technologies. I have purchased and installed many products from them and have always been happy with the results. Upgrading should take 30-60 minutes depending on the model. (Of course a trained technician should be involved!) I may go this route for my wife Core Duo iMac but the price is the only reason I haven't already ordered one. If they drop the price or put it on sale for $99, I'll probably cut myself by getting a credit card out so fast.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post