New
Find
Notify
Tools

ipod touch question
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
posted
Although I don't have an ipod touch I was wondering if someone from the group could answer a couple of questions for me. If one wants to go to a sensitive site that requires a password, for example a banking site, how easy would it be for someone to steal your password if you're at an unsecure location, say a coffee shop? Also, if you want to get online where a password is required, say your home connection, can you do that with the ipod touch in the same way you can with a regular laptop? In other words, if you have the password can it be saved on the touch so you don't have to reenter the password each time you go to the site?

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I can get on many sites that I am a member of (ie: MacGroup Detroit iBBS) via my iPhone and I've yet to have any password stolen. For someone to steal your password, they would have to be looking over your shoulder while you type it in.

Of course someone will probably find a way in the future, so a bit of caution would be a good thing. I don't think I would do my banking online at a coffee shop or public library but some people do.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
If we're talking a wi-fi connection, it would be very feasible for someone to sniff the packets and collect data. If you're logging on to an incrypted site, it makes it harder, but not impossible. The best advice is to NOT login to senstive sites on public networks (doesn't matter if it's an iPod touch or other computer).

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. Great having such a wonderful group of people giving helpful advice.

Posts: 825 | Location: PA | Registered: November 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
I didn't get the new iPhone and this 2.0 is driving me crazy.

I have yet to have macgroups calendars sent to my iPhone. I have everything turned to yes. I even entered new things on the iPhone calendar only to have them disappear seconds later!
It's driving me crazy...

Mel
LifeTime Member

Posts: 60 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI. USA | Registered: August 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You can't subscribe to a calendar on the iPhone. You can't get the MacGroup calendar on your phone. You can only get it on your Mac.

If you want subscribed calendars, you have to turn off "push" and sync with your phone up.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post