Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    The New MacBook is out! (buh-bye iBook)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New MacBook is out! (buh-bye iBook)
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted
Apple (as rumored) released the new 13" MacBook today to replace the iBook

New MacBook

Read my initial impressions here

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
AIM: Online Status For artpumpin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
Apple (as rumored) released the new 13" MacBook today to replace the iBook

New MacBook

Read my initial impressions here

The black one is pretty slick, wonder if it is iPod Black (glossy), should be cause it is $200 more (+ bigger drive).

Supports extended desktop too, no more mirroring.

SWwweeettt....

Not that I could afford one right now, but Dave or Linda when will one be on display for a "up close look".

Probably won't be available/shipping 'til WWDC knowing Apple...

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Says they are shipping in 3-7 days on the website.

Of course we are always happy to see people visit one of the stores Big Grin

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Bill Carver
AIM: Online Status For wgcarver
posted Hide Post
Get ready for the complaints about scratched black macbooks though.

Never see a doctor whose office plants have died.

Posts: 454 | Location: Eastpointe | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
The store should have one on display tomorrowSmile If not two.

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
2 Color options... Nice!

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Come on down......

They are in and MAAAAANNNNN do they look pretty!

Who was spotted looking at them already? I know...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Those who have ever changed a laptop HD will love how easy it is in the new MacBook. Check this out:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macword/2006/05/macbookvideo/index.php

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Got my new MacBook (c'mon, say it MaaaaaacBoooook, see it's not so bad) yesterday!

All I can say is WOW! Apple hit a home run (so far) on this one. It's quiet, it's FAST! It's go the features that MOST people will want/need and while the price is not $699, it is reasonable for the feature set.

The built-in iSight works better than I thought it would.

Non-Universal apps are polky to launch, but once they're up the speed is not bad at all (also keep in mind I don't have my RAM upgrade in yet).

Beautiful refinements and attention to detail.

The new keyboard is very nice and an improvement.

The trackpad is wider and you can do a Control Click by simply putting two fingers on the trackpad and clicking the trackpad button once. I hope that feature makes it over to the MacBook Pro via some kind of software/firmware update!

The matte black finish is WAY better than the shinny black iPod finish. So I don't think scratches will be an issue (anymore than they are on the aluminum ones). Also finger prints aren't as noticeable as I thought they would be.

So far, so good!

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
The command-click two-finger tap is also on the MBP 17" (or so I'm told - can't try it as mine is already sent back for repair...).

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Here is partial hands on review of the new MacBook

They mention a cost comparsion between a HP and the MacBook

..."One other obvious question about the MacBook: Is it a bargain or a big-ticket item at $1499? As usual, it’s hard to do a perfect price comparison between a Mac and a Windows-based equivalent. HP’s dv1000 isn’t a precise match — it has a bigger 14-inch screen — but you can custom-configure one with specs are mostly pretty comparable. And while it starts at a thrifty $630, the config I built out that had a webcam, Bluetooth, and bundled software that delivers functionality roughly comparable to that in the MacBook’s iLife suite goes for $1556, a bit more than the black MacBook and more than $200 more than a white MacBook with similar specs.

Of course, adding Windows to the black MacBook makes it into a $1699 system, not a $1499 one. Then again, you can’t add OS X to the HP at any price. Like I say, it’s hard to do the math. All in all, though, this Mac seems to be a decent deal considering that it’s anything but a stripped-down loss leader"...

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of arrakian
posted Hide Post
What about that "Glossy" screen? I hope this isn't the way future MBP's will look. Also, Apple Insider had some concerns about the keyboard...

- One Nation Under A Groove -

Posts: 1360 | Location: S.E.MI | Registered: June 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
The glossy screen is fine. I only notice the gloss when it's OFF/Sleep or when I'm viewing it at an extreme angle (off to the side). Looking at it dead on or normal use it just looks like a very nice bright screen. I have no issues with it and wouldn't mind it on the MacBook Pro's either. Actually I could take it or leave it. It feels brighter, but not necessary better or worse for that matter.

----

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Glossy screens are now a no cost option on the MBP.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the glossy screen is supposed to be better for viewing outdoors in sunlight. If the sun ever comes out again for more than 2 minutes, Terry will have to verify this for us. Wink

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
What about that "Glossy" screen?

Just about anything would be an improvement over the PowerBook Screens. I love my Alum 15" Powerbook, but the screen sux!!

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Terry,

Did you do a transfer from the iBook G3 to the new "Boston Blackie"
MacBook?

Or does that not work with the MacTel Book?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Calvin,

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I did a transfer using the Migration Assistant that comes up by default when you boot up a new Mac. It works fine on intel Macs migrating from PowerPC Macs. It sucked over everything from the old G3 iBook just fine.

Then I went through the process up updating several of the apps that were brought over to their current versions including Photoshop (the whole Creative Suite), Office from X to 2004, etc.

I ran all the system updates and with the exception of a few fonts I have yet to install and the RAM I'm waiting for, I'm all set and "Blackie" runs like a champ.

----

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Now comes the hard part. The shift of equipment in the White household correct.

iBook...iBook.....who gets the iBook!

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Actually the iBook is moving out of the house. A friend of mine wants to buy it.

quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
Now comes the hard part. The shift of equipment in the White household correct.

iBook...iBook.....who gets the iBook!

----