Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    The New MacBook is out! (buh-bye iBook)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The New MacBook is out! (buh-bye iBook)
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Just for the curious.... NO, I am NOT buying this iBook!

I may have sold Terry his new MacBook but when he mentioned selling the old iBook, I summoned up all my strength to resist asking about buying it Roll Eyes

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
At first I thought I must be missing something...that the Black MacBook costs $150 more than an equal spec'ed out White MacBook ( hard drive size ). But this Macworld article discusses "What Price MacBook beauty"?

But I do like the looks of the Black MacBook from the pictures...I'll have to see one at the store soon Smile

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Amazon has $100 rebates on the new MacBooks.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Why in heaven's name is Apple charging $200 more for the Black MacBook?? What's the logic?

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
That there's people willing to pay for it?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
If I owned a "black" MacBook, it would need to be a black textured rubber-coated MacBook. All the MacBooks feel too slippery to me - they're too easy to drop.

I'd spray paint my own MacBook, except that I don't know how that would affect the heat transfer characteristics of the case. They run pretty hot now, as it is.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I'm asked "Why should I pay $200 extra for the Black MacBook?" quite a bit lately. Besides the additional 20 gig of HD space (which is a $50 upgrade on the white model), you are getting a completely new type of finish. While it reminds me of the old Powerbooks (ie: Wallstreet, Lombard and Pismo models), I am guessing that Apple decided to avoid the possible complaint ala Black iPod and go for a Retro look. From what I have learned, paint jobs for a White iBook/MacBook or Powerbook/MacBook Pro will run you at least $350. Those paint jobs WILL scratch eventually and who wants that hassle? Yes, you can get Custom colors but is that worth the price? Heck, you can get a Custom painted case for a Mac Mini even (the White one with the multi colored logo is REALLY sharp!)

If Apple can't move the Black model it would stand to reason that the price would drop... but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen Wink

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of KC
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping that my new powerbook lasts as long as the old one (still works) and am happy as heck with it. Based on that experience of buying a powerbook only to see them make major improvements to the model seemingly months after I bought mine Mad I'm content to sit back and watch the MacBook developments from afar Smile

"Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end." - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posts: 573 | Location: Rochester Hills | Registered: June 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Paul, the logic is that Apple figures people will be willing to pay more for a hot color and they're probably right. When they came out with the Black iPods it was a test to see how they would sell. The results were, they're selling like crazy! I have yet to see one of the new video iPods in someone's hands, in public, in white. Every time I see someone with one, it's the Black one.

So since that went so well, the next experiment is to charge more for Black with the new MacBook and see if people are willing to pay more for a color they want. Most probably won't, but many will! It's called marketing! They have nothing to lose with this strategy and $150 per Black MacBook to gain. I don't blame them one bit. The auto industry has been doing it for years. Most high end cars come in basic colors at no additional cost, however, you can order "premium" colors at a much higher cost ($700-$5,000 more in some cases). Most will never spend that kind of money for a "color" on their car, but many will and hey, what do they (auto makers) have to lose?

When I saw the Black MacBook (BlackBook, ahh that sounds better), my immediate response was "I want that!" The white one wasn't even a consideration for me. $150 more, no problem! "When can I get it?" Today! I'll take one!

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
Why in heaven's name is Apple charging $200 more for the Black MacBook?? What's the logic?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post