Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Road Warrior - Gear for the Road SIG    MacBook Pro Battery Exchange
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacBook Pro Battery Exchange
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
Apple is offering a battery exchange for some batteries in MacBook Pro. Info at this Apple address: http://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/batteryexchange/faq/

Batteries in Judy's and my MacBook Pros had the "replace me" number. New batteries show longer life in the onscreen time estimate than our original ones ever showed.

Although Apple has info on its web site on replacement, we have received no notification. I discovered it in Computerworld and arranged for replacement through Apple Care (800 275 2273).

So if you have a MacBook Pro, you may want to check to see if you get a new, hopefully better battery.

David Snider

Posts: 84 | Registered: April 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of KC
posted Hide Post
So the Sony battery recall only affects MacBooks, not my little powerbook?

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060824/NEWS99/60824018

"Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end." - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posts: 573 | Location: Rochester Hills | Registered: June 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Other way around. The MacBook Pro recall is a different issue.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of KC
posted Hide Post
Only the powerbooks have that Sony battery problem? bummer. sucks to be me.

"Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end." - from The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Posts: 573 | Location: Rochester Hills | Registered: June 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Only certain ones, check the serial numbers to see if you are affected.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
https://support.apple.com/ibook_powerbook/batteryexchange/index.html

If you can make sense of it, here's the info from the table on the above page.
Computer model Battery model number Serial number range
12-inch iBook G4 A1061 ZZ338 - ZZ427
3K429 - 3K611
6C519 - 6C552
12-inch PowerBook G4 A1079 ZZ411 - ZZ427
3K428 - 3K611
15-inch PowerBook G4 A1078 and A1148 3K425 - 3K601
6N530 - 6N551
6N601

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
P.S.: Apple states:
The affected batteries were sold worldwide from October 2003 through August 2006 for use with the following notebook computers: 12-inch iBook G4, 12-inch PowerBook G4 and 15-inch PowerBook G4.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Both my PowerBook G4 batteries and one of my MacBook Pro batteries are covered by the program. I have already received the replacement MacBook Pro battery and I just ordered the 2 PowerBook batteries. It's great that they do an advance return so you're not down or without your batteries at any point.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
What a disaster for Sony. They seem to get so much wrong today. If we go into a worldwide recession, Sony may be a casualty.

I'll bet the Sony batteries would make great electrically operated fire starters for campers and outdoorsmen. That is, if you have electric power in the woods. Big Grin

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Both of the batteries for my 15" Alum G4 are A1045, so I guess I'm safe (for now.)

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1417 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post