Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Classic Mac OS    Dispose of old software?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dispose of old software?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends, Going through some bulging file drawers. Should I dispose of (destroy) such things as OS 8 install media (floppies, CD), early (VERY early) versions of Acrobat, other Adobe software, - you get the picture.
(For old time's sake, saving the folder of stuff related to purchasing my first Mac system - IIsi, Laserwriter printer, monitor - a touch over $4000 as an educator, early 1992. Includes unused Apple decals when they were multi-colored.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I don't believe you need to destroy that older software. None of it will install on any computer built in the last 17 years anyhow. Proper recycling would be the best option.

I too remember going through multiple paper boxes full of older software that was outdated and realizing that we spent a lot of money, but they were now worthless. Felt the same with older hardware that had outlived its usefulness.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
I've also got a box with "classic" software like MacWrite and MacPaint and floppy disk installers for System 7, 8 and 9. I keep thinking there's some collector or tech museum somewhere who might want them, though they probably have little if any actual monetary value at this point.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
So, there is currently no value in legacy software, hardware, and books?

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
There is Sentimental Value to older Software, Hardware and Books...

But unless the Hardware is still new in box... Software is rare... and books are signed by the author... finding a buyer for what you feel it is worth is harder and harder to locate.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
We all spent a fortune on software & upgrades early on, because tech improvements were coming so fast. It IS difficult to part with because we (meaning "I" and whoever) enjoyed those heady early days of learning, ooh-ing and ahh-ing. Most of you have way more apps than I do, but the space crunch beckons. - Must part with some. The recycle recommendation should have been obvious.
Thanks all for memories and ideas.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
PS: Anybody have a use for these floppies - never used.

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Here's a suggestion if you don't want to waste them.

Get a sheet of cork, cut squares the same size as the disk and glue to the bottom (Spindle side). Viola .... Looney Tunes Hi Tech Drink Coasters!

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Definitely unique, Calvin. Only from the creative genius of Mac users!

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I actually know a guy who lives in Indianapolis who is an avid Apple anything collector. He just went off with several of my older computers, a printer, SCSI cables and drives, some software, modems, trackballs, etc. He's in AA every few months because he has relatives in the area. He would probably die for some older software. I'm going to really gather the rest of my golden oldies (hardware and software) and pass them on to him. My family will be delighted.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Donna - And YOU TOO will be delighted to see some extra space open up in those shelves, closets, drawers!