Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Classic Mac OS    Apple says "good-bye" to Classic in Leopard
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple says "good-bye" to Classic in Leopard
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted
Do you care that Apple has now completely discontinued Classic/Mac OS 9 support in Leopard? So even if you had a machine that would run Classic (Mac OS 9) environment, you won't be able to under Leopard.

What works and what doesn't:
If you have a Mac that can still be booted into Mac OS 9. You can still boot that Mac in OS 9.
If you have a Mac that doesn't boot into OS 9, but can run OS 9 under Mac OS X in the "Classic" environment, it will no longer be able to do so if you run/boot into Leopard.
So you would have to keep a drive/partition that has Tiger on it in order to boot and then run Classic if you needed to.

I haven't run Mac OS 9 in years. I won't miss this. I don't even have Classic on any of my Mac OS X Macs now. I do still have my 20th Anniversary Mac which is forever stuck at Mac OS 9.1. I haven't booted that baby in a long long time either.

Do you care that Classic is gone in Leopard?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Nope.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
Classic support ... I couldn't care less. Glad to see it gone

Apple supported classic for a long time to accomindate those people stuck in the past.....it was time for Apple to stop wasting resources on Classic

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Can't remember the last time I used Classic. I finally deleted it from my iBook over a year ago.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I care, because I have some macintax programs dealing with years prior to 2000 which I am still dealing with and they need Classic to run. But, after I get that straightened out (within the next year I hope) I won't need any programs that don't run under X. I actually use Appleworks, and that runs under X fine.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
posted Hide Post
It will matter to professional printers. You never know what old system or version of software that a client has with version specific extensions. My company still has some Macs with QuarkXPress 4.0. and pagemaker to handle these.

I also use MacInTax/TurboTax this is an important point if, God forbid, you get audited.
Are there many Mac's that had the ability to boot OS 9 that fit the requirements for 10.5?

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Sure, some QuickSilver towers were 867 Mhz, and the Mirror Drive Door systems started at 867. Plus, while not supported, upgraded systems will work (I have a Cube with a 1.8 Ghz upgrade running 10.5 Server).

But really, if you are running such old software, should you be risking updating? If that software is critical to you, you should probably not update.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Re: Old Macs that will boot 10.5. The G4 ppcs that I own will run Classic, which will run my old MacinTax programs (Hi, IRS auditors). And they have the specs to run 10.5.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I agree about "But really, if you are running such old software, should you be risking updating? If that software is critical to you, you should probably not update."

If you have only machine, that would be very risky. Fortunately I have 3 machine that could run these programs, but I only have them installed on 2 (one is for redundancy). I would only go to Leopard on the third, if at all.

Jedi Knight
Picture of Hanna
posted Hide Post
Glad it's gone even if I left it behind years a go. I am in the publishing industry and am amazed that SOME clients have OS9 still.

In this business i simply don't empathize with others in this industry still using OS9 - but that's just me.

http://www.hannafoto.com

"I'm only here for the cookies"

Posts: 162 | Location: Northville, MI | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
I don't really care, but am planning to keep my "old" machines until I'm absolutely sure OS9 isn't needed. As Donna says, it's probably more of an issue for people with just one computer.

You just never know! Just this week, I had to access some 11-year-old WriteNow docs for business reasons. MarinerWrite or TextEdit, or TextWrangler could open them as text, but then I had to deal with a lot of code in addition to the content. Solution: I "reinstalled" WriteNow from a backup on my external drive (just dragged the folder over), then opened the document. Rather than try to get the Chooser to recognize my printer, I saved each document as a "file" (postscript). Then Preview or Acrobat opened the .ps files, and I saved them as pdfs.

Fortunately, didn't need very many docs, as this is cumbersome, but better than nothing.

Will definitely keep my Pismo for OS9 if nothing else, as it probably wouldn't sell for much anyway. - Mainly for the "surprises" (and my husband who is finally ready to learn "computers.")

Probably will get a new computer in a couple of months or so, with Leopard already installed. - Then migrate applications gradually to be sure everything "works."

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
One more thought: At this point it seems that Acrobat/pdf is the best solution for obsolescence. The WriteNow situation described above still required OS9 to open the files, but some time ago I started saving copies of all critical documents as pdfs. - Even reports from AccountEdge can be "printed to pdf."

Don't know about Turbotax, as we don't use it, but we should all think about a strategy for keeping access to important documents. For the time being, it seems to be pdf that will migrate most successfully to system upgrades over time.

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I've used TurboTax/MacInTax for years, and I always save a printed copy of returns, schedules and all worksheets. Never pays to put all your eggs in one basket. Disks go bad, data gets corrupted, operating systems change. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
Don't know about Turbotax, as we don't use it, but we should all think about a strategy for keeping access to important documents. For the time being, it seems to be pdf that will migrate most successfully to system upgrades over time.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3780 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
So much for the "paperless office."

(Phyl, I agree completely, but the irony is still interesting.)

quote:
Originally posted by Phyllis Evans:
I've used TurboTax/MacInTax for years, and I always save a printed copy of returns, schedules and all worksheets. Never pays to put all your eggs in one basket. Disks go bad, data gets corrupted, operating systems change. Cool

quote:

Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
posted Hide Post
I have to say, I have some 'Classic' games I like to go back and play from time to time. Myst, Quake (original) and unreal 1.0. Eek Last winter I went through Riven again. I forgot how hard some of those puzzles were in Myst and Riven. It's amazing how things have changed. I think I still have some SyQuest cartridges and 5.25" diskettes for a IIe. Doh!

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
If anyone wants a good laugh.... we're still using Quark 4.1.1 under classic.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Does anyone miss the "Easter eggs?" Haven't heard of any since OSX came out. Even Quark had one. They were part of the "Mac fun experience." OSX is great, but rather serious.

iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I found the following couple of links for Easter Eggs in OS X

Easter Egg Link 1

Easter Egg Link 2

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of chris.fx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone miss the "Easter eggs?" Haven't heard of any since OSX came out. Even Quark had one. They were part of the "Mac fun experience." OSX is great, but rather serious.

Good point. That was part of the fun of Apple. Woz needs to add some of his magic back in to the OS.
I think quark 6 still had the little robot and monster, but I have rarely used Quark 6. Any one have Quark 7?

quote:
I found the following couple of links for Easter Eggs in OS X

Nice but not on the same level as the classic days.

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
I believe Bruce the Yak still hides in FCP.

Posts: 1105 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post