Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Classic Mac OS    AppleWorks workaround
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AppleWorks workaround
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
At our July meeting, one of our members asked about converting older AppleWorks files to another format.

If you can open those files on a Mac running AppleWorks 6, you should be able to "save as" an AppleWorks 6 file. Once saved in that format, Pages should recognize the file and you can "save" it as a Pages document. Original formatting probably won't work but you should have the text available to create a new document.

There is an AppleWorks User group online at www.awug.org and I found some interesting info there.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
There's another possible workaround that I've used successfully over the last few years. It's a website that converts quite a few document types (text, audio, video, etc.) that's worth considering.

http://www.zamzar.com

Upload your file, select the wanted output and they'll let you know when it's ready to download. I think I've only run into one or two files that it couldn't handle.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
What is the last OS that would support AW?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Snow Leopard was the last OS for AW because it was still Power PC.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
There's been a recent ongoing discussion on this topic over at MacInTouch. Useful info and user experiences.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post