Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Classic Mac OS    Share files from OS 7.6.1 Mac to 10.4.5 Mac???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Share files from OS 7.6.1 Mac to 10.4.5 Mac???
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted
Can I share files between a Powerbook Duo 2300 running OS 7.6.1 to a G4 iBook running OS 10.4.5? Since the 2300 does not have ethernet, USB or firewire, I'm hoping to use the modem port on both Macs to do this.

The BIG question is: Can I actually make this happen?

I opened up File Sharing on both Macs but they are not seeing each other. Feel free to offer suggestions.

Thanks!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2103 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
So you're running a null modem cable between the two? You might have to try and "dial" the modem, and use commands to tell it to ignore lack of dial tone (don't remember them, it's been a loooong time since I had to futz with a modem).

You might consider getting a serial to usb for the iBook, and then going serial to serial, which I think will be a lot easier than trying to tie the modems together.

Of course, if you have two phone lines, you could connect that way.

Once connected, though, what software do you intend to use to copy files? File sharing on 10.4 is going to be on Appletalk OVER IP - there's no separate AppleTalk protocol anymore.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Does the Duo have an external SCSI connector? Perhaps the Asante SCSI Ethernet adapter might work. Shall I try to find it?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack and Jim,

I had a feeling that this was going to be rough to do. I have fired up the 7600 and was able to open file sharing on both machines (2300 and 7600) and move the files over. Now I can put them on a Zip disk and copy them over to the iBook for burning onto a CD.

Not the quickest way to do this but it works! Roll Eyes

Old School Rules!

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2103 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Re:I have fired up the 7600 and was able to open file sharing on both machines (2300 and 7600) and move the files over.

Dave - Did the modem connection work?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Dave,

Does the Duo have an external SCSI connector? Perhaps the Asante SCSI Ethernet adapter might work. Shall I try to find it?

I can vouch for the Asantetalk localtalk to ethernet adapter. I am still using one to connect to my old Apple Laserwriter Select 360 printer via an ethernet switch. (Both my QuickSilver 800 & Pismo PB dock go through the switch, which is connected to the printer with the Asantetalk) Haven't tried it to connect computers.

Yet another "old" method - email the files to yourself and pick them up from the other machine.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,
I did use that type of connector to connect an old PowerBook to my network for David Syme to transfer his data off of it to a CD for use with his new iBook at the time. There was about 250MB of data to transfer and while it worked it was INCREDIBLY SLOW! UNGODLY SLOW, OH MY GOD WAS IT SLOW. I just let it go all night and the next day the data was on my server. Then it took like two minutes to burn it to a CDR. Amazing how much has changed over the years.

It worked, he was happy!

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
quote:
Originally posted by James R. Cutler:
Dave,

I can vouch for the Asantetalk localtalk to ethernet adapter. I am still using one to connect to my old Apple Laserwriter Select 360 printer via an ethernet switch. (Both my QuickSilver 800 & Pismo PB dock go through the switch, which is connected to the printer with the Asantetalk) Haven't tried it to connect computers.

Yet another "old" method - email the files to yourself and pick them up from the other machine.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
INCREDIBLY SLOW! UNGODLY SLOW, OH MY GOD WAS IT SLOW.

The question I have is: Was it slow? Big Grin

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1725 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
STILL curious about what connections Dave actually got working. [Maybe we should save some of the old gear for situations like this!]

quote:
Re:I have fired up the 7600 and was able to open file sharing on both machines (2300 and 7600) and move the files over.

Dave - Did the modem connection work?

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing he connected them via the serial ports. That's how I've connected my 7600 to my Duo 230.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bibo (Jim Nichols),

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Bibo - On another tack - was the Duo 230 the old "Duo-dock" computer? Somehow that idea still makes sense to me. Wouldn't it be great to have a laptop that slips into a dock that INCLUDES a flat panel external monitor, rather than a separate dock & monitor. (I have a dock setup for my old Pismo PB and can hook up my external monitor as needed. - works great, but a dock/monitor design would pare down the cables & power cords needed.)

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan of the Duo and the Duo Dock! It was a great idea and would even be easier to do now than it was then. The problem back then is that the Macs had SCSI which wasn't hot swappable (pain in the butt, because you had to wake up your Duo, shut it down, put it in the dock and start it up again). However, with today's Macs having USB, Firewire and DVI, it could all be plugged into a dock while the Mac was sleeping.

It would take a redesign of the MacBooks though as now all the ports are on the sides. Apple could engineer a docking port on the bottom in the back fairly easily and the MacBook could just rest on the dock and make its connections.

Wishful thinking Smile

quote:
Bibo - On another tack - was the Duo 230 the old "Duo-dock" computer? Somehow that idea still makes sense to me. Wouldn't it be great to have a laptop that slips into a dock that INCLUDES a flat panel external monitor, rather than a separate dock & monitor. (I have a dock setup for my old Pismo PB and can hook up my external monitor as needed. - works great, but a dock/monitor design would pare down the cables & power cords needed.)

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
I forgot about the Dock (the Duo Dock I have was purchased used form Terry years ago). I used to transfer files by hooking up a an external Hard Drive or SCSI Zip drive to the Duo Dock too. I should really do something with my duo 230.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't posted a reply sooner... my job has kept me busy than normal (which is a good thing!) this past week.

I did copy the files via a serial cable from the 2300 to the 7600. I will copy them to a ZIP disk and then copy THAT folder to my iBook to burn a CD. After reading Bibo's post about having a SCSI ZIP drive hooked up to a Duo Dock, I remembered that there is a Dock buried somewhere in my office. Spring Cleaning will commence this week and I will get that set up!

Dave McGuire

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Don't forget that you can use floppys. I have a floppy reader for my USB machines. I had to transfer files from my PB520 running 7.5 to my newest eMac running 10.4.6. These were ClarisWorks 4 spreadsheets. I first wrote them straight out onto PC formatted diskettes. Appleworks 6 objected and I thought I was going to have to result to using Dataviz translators. After a little trial and error, though, I found that I had to reformat the diskettes as Mac diskettes first. Then the files came right into AppleWorks 6 EXTREMELY fast, without even any time, seemingly, for translation from version 4 to 6. I transferred 11 years of files over that way--one year to a diskette. "Sneakernet" can be very simple. So simple, in fact, that we often overlook it.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Donna,

All the original files were on floppies but both my USB floppy drives were unable to read them. I was able to copy them via my 2300's external floppy drive onto the 2300. The original files came off an SE30 and I'm thinking that the older disk formatting may have played a role in making this harder than it should have been.

Sometime it's good to have the older equipment around Wink

Dave McGuire

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
USB floppy drives can only read the high-density floppies. That's why I keep an old system in running condition. If I can transfer from 800K to HD floppies, I'm all set.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Terry - Maybe we should start a "wish list" for hardware & Mac OS on iBBs. Every once in a while I encounter a situation that seems like an obvious desirable feature and think "Wouldn't it be interesting to keep a list going, then find a way to get it to Apple."

Personally, would limit it to Mac machines & OS, just to keep it universal, and from getting out of hand.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave:

Sometime it's good to have the older equipment around Wink

Or know a guy like Dave who has older equipment around...

Smile

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Just make sure to reformat (erase) the floppies to Mac format beforehand. that's what worked most smoothly for me. Leaving them as PC formated (which is what I did in the first place) was terrible.

Posts: 2263 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post