Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    iMac or MacBook Pro?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iMac or MacBook Pro?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
Been putting off upgrading my 2007 iMac for too long. Spec wise, Which would be the better choice of these 2? I do have an 24" IPS display to use with the a MacBook, so screen size is not an issue.

I'm mainly use Photoshop & Lightroom.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Unless you really need a 'walk-around' computer I would go for the iMac. In fact I decided to do just that when it's time to replace my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) that I use as a desktop and no longer carry it around.

Also the iMac is 50% faster than the MacBook Pro you have selected, not withstanding the i5 vs. the i7 processor.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Since you indicated that your primary use will be Photoshop I would go with the iMac if it can hold more than 16GB of RAM. Also since I don't se how much RAM the MacBook Pro has, whatever is in it is all it will ever have.

I use my MacBook Pro as my primary computer because I have the option to take it with me anywhere in the world if I want/need to. If thats' not a concern, then go with the iMac.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! Wasn't sure how much of a speed difference there was between the two. I really don't NEED the portability, so it sounds like the iMac is the way to go.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't go with either one, went for 5K!

http://store.apple.com/us/prod...-with-retina-display

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bibo (Jim Nichols),

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
The one you selected looks like a beautiful machine. Purchasing a refurb direct from Apple seems very wise. Am still using an early 2008 15" MacBook Pro refurb (one of my 3 currently used Macs).

Let us know how you like it after working with it awhile.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I'm really liking it. Apple dropped the price on the 5K iMac (refurbs too) less than a week after I purchased it, I called and they refunded me the difference! Just bumped it up to 24 GB of RAM.