Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    PS Elements 11 question-saving settings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PS Elements 11 question-saving settings
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Friends,
Started scanning a family autograph book from the 1890's. On some pages the ink has faded, though is (mostly) still readable. After scanning, then futzing with one faded page in Elements 11, came up with the best I could manage to improve readability.
MY QUESTION: Is there a way to save the tweaks for a given image, and apply them to a different image? (Might help with the other faded pages.)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Why don't you post a scanned page here and see what we "geniuses" can do to improve it? (I'm not sure how to save the tweaks).

Posts: 270 | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have Elements, but can suggest a few possible solutions using Photoshop (it may be similar). I believe Elements 11 supports Layers, Layer Groups/Sets and Adjustment Layers to some extent.

Assuming that you are editing your image using Adjustment Layers (Levels, Color Balance, etc.), you could group the layers into a Layer Set/Group. Then, open another image. With both images open, side by side, drag & drop the Layer Set you created in the first image onto the second image. After doing so, you will then be able to tweak the individual Adjustment Layers in the second image.

Another solution is using Actions. If you aren't familiar with Actions, it basically Records every step you make while editing the original file. The Action can be Saved, and then Loaded and Played back on a different file - which would automatically duplicate all the steps on the second file. After the Action has been played on the second file, you'd still have the ability to tweak the image further. Unfortunately from what I've read, Elements 11 can load Actions that were created in Photoshop and Play them - but, Elements 11 can NOT record Actions.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Many ways to do that, Actions, drag adjustment layers, etc.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Thank you for suggestions. Will take a closer look at Elements (v.11) to see if it has these features. Not sure about "layers," as I just opened the scan in Elements and went to work.

Gordon - Thank you for the offer. - Will pass for the time being (though acknowledging that everyone here is much more expert than I am!)

Am basically happy with what the scanner did, as I can magnify the image on the computer screen and all the handwriting on the faded page can be read, though one has to really "look" when it's at normal size.

I tried tinkering with settings on the scanner to see if something would enhance the faded writing, though without much success. So did what I could in Elements. Managed to read it well enough to write a transcription (it's short).

Brings back memories of transcribing some fairly rugged images of an ancestor's handwritten records from US gov't archives while working on genealogy.

To digress: One of the sites I used for these early documents (digitized) provided the ability to reverse the image while viewing it on their site. VERY helpful!

(To digress further: I wonder if all the school children being denied the development of cursive / script handwriting will be able to read early documents - virtually ALL in beautiful script? I have some college grandchildren who can't even come close to reading script. Breaks my heart!)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post