Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    File Is stretched
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

File Is stretched
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
i opened a photoshop file and it is stretched. the file name in photoshop has (scaled) after it. When opeing the file it says "Pixel aspect ratio correction is for preview purpose only. Turn it off for max image quality"
I dont know how to do that.
Is that causing the stretching?
Also says layers need to be updated.
thanks
Kelly

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the image was created for use in video,
has non-square pixels.
Look up "Creating images for video" in Photoshop help.
And try View menu > Pixel Aspect Ratio...

Posts: 1611 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
If i change the pixel aspect ratio can i trust this file to be print correctly (4/c)? I really dont want to be responsible for someone elses work since this is a unknown area to me. thanks for that help.

Posts: 357 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Kelly,

In a word. NO. The pixel aspect ratio and preparing the file for printing are 2 separate issues.

I'm assuming that the stretched file had been initially created for video, and you corrected it (File/Pixel Aspect Ratio/Square).

About Printing. I'm also assuming that if the file was originally created for video, that it is in RGB color mode which is unsuitable for full-color printing on commercial presses. The file would need to be converted to CMYK, and Color Management can also be an issue - as well as what type of paper it will get printed on, and more. In addition, the file must have a resolution of 300 ppi or higher, to print size (Image/Image Size...). If the file is currently at 72 ppi at print size, it can be difficult to increase the resolution without lose of quality (mottling, blurring and artifacts will occur).

There is quite a bit of information in Photoshop's Help regarding these issues.

Since you stated "I really dont want to be responsible for someone elses work since this is a unknown area to me.", I'd recommend that you consider leaving it up to someone else to prepare it for print.

If you'd like, and don't mind sending me the file, I'd be happy to take a look at it - and, make my recommendations from there.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
the file is CYMK and the res is 300 i had checked all that. I didnt know how if the conversion was a issue. my other problem is some photos dont look like they are truely 300 dip. Some people dont know you cant just change a file to 300 dpi that all art needs to begin at 300 dpi. The file is 50 megs so emailing is a issue and i have slower service. I appreciate the offer to send it to you but im going to talk to the sales rep. Ill post later to tell you what happens. Thanks so much!!

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Coupla things.

If you'd still like to send me one or two files, you could certainly insert the into a Zip Archive, to compress the file size(s). As opposed to email you could send the archive via You Send It. A free online service for file transfers. You can get a FREE account, that will allow you to send up to 100 MB in size. Following is the link. If you don't use it now, it might come in handy someday.

http://www.yousendit.com/cms/liteaccount

If you happen to have a few files that are low-res, that need to be increased, I have a program/Photoshop Plugin called Genuine Fractals, that does a much better job than Photoshop to increase resolution, and retain more image quality. If it looks like your photos have already had their resolution increased, there isn't too much you can do to improve them, other than experimenting with isolated blurring/resharpening and retouching. Which could be time-consuming.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post