Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    Photomerge, PSElements 6 not working
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photomerge, PSElements 6 not working
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
I used this feature with no problems some time ago to merge several closeup photos of a family historical document. Today trying to merge 3 screen shots of text with no luck. The originals are .png images and loaded into PSElements OK. But the "File/New/Photomerge Panorama" is grayed out when I try to set up the merge. Used Preview to change the images to .jpg, but with no change in Elements choice. Tried "Photomerge Group Shot" but no merge takes place.
- Frustrating, because when I did this before with the photos, it did a terrific job merging a mix of handwritten and printed text from a document dating to the very early 1800's. A mystery.
The current project is not hyper-essential, but am curious what the problem might be. Why wouldn't the "Photomerge Panorama" choice be available? That must be what I used before. ????

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
I used this feature with no problems some time ago

Mary Jo;

Define "Some Time Ago". Also note that the current version of PS Elements is 11. What version of Mac OS X are you using? And have you updated Mac OS X since the last time you used it?

I kinda think that you have pushed PS Elements past it's prime.

Let us know.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Brian - OS 10.6.8 on the Mini (with the new drive - same OS, same PSElements 6)

You're probably right, though it's the same OS, same Elements that worked before ??

Some time ago was probably about a yr & half, given the nature of the successful merge. I had taken close-up photos of an ancestor's land purchase patent paper, which is the property of a friend in the state & region where I've done a very large amount of genealogical research. Used my then-new camera's features for closeups, took shots of 3 regions of the document. Elements 6 merged the 3 photos with astonishing accuracy. Except for some ragged border edges, one would never guess the picture was merged.

--Just looked at those merged images again. One of the 3 original pictures was actually upside down relative to the other 2. PSElements actually "figured it out" and merged them correctly.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Brian - I appreciate your no-nonsense honesty. My upgrade days are coming!
- To beat a dead horse, I'm reluctant to upgrade Elements because the visual difficulty of seeing tiny print etc in the black interface has been very frustrating. Eyes good, but not young any more.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo:

It is my understanding that the PS Elements interface can be adjusted from white thru black the same as Photoshop CS6. That should solve at least that problem.

When you are ready to purchase make sure to check prices at Amazon and B&HPhoto.

Here is a link for a trial download which after you purchase all you need to do is register with your purchased serial number. No need to uninstall/reinstall.

Here are the requirements from Adobe's web site.

Mac OS

Multicore Intel® processor
Mac OS X v10.6 through v10.8
1GB of RAM (2GB for HD video functions)
4GB of available hard-disk space (additional free space required during installation)
1024x768 display resolution
DVD-ROM drive
QuickTime 7 software required for multimedia features
Internet connection required for Internet-based services*

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Brian.

Cnet review showing the interface. Hooray!
http://reviews.cnet.com/softwa...3513_7-35457686.html

Amazon price good. Adobe has an upgrade price for anyone with ANY previous v. of Elements.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mary Jo Disler,

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Another review
http://www.maclife.com/article...p_elements_11_review

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The boxed Photoshop Elements 11 from Amazon is $61.44 and free shipping.

The Download price from Adobe for the upgrade is $79.99.

To me there is no decision the price makes it.