Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    PSElements 6 question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSElements 6 question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
In working through a basic book on PSE 6 (not an Adobe book), they mention an Organizer, which I can't find in the Mac v. Assuming that Bridge has similar functions, although I can't locate some of them.

Date View (picts on a calendar)
Map View ("enables you to place an image on a map…where it was taken" by dragging)
Version sets
Tagging faces

I can't find references to any of these in the Help File for Mac v.6

The book is obviously PC oriented, despite claiming to be for both PC & Mac.

?????
P.S.: The Help file DOES have a reference for "kumimoji" described as "tate-chuu-yoko". - Always wondered about that.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
The PSE Windows version has a built-in organizer. The Mac version ships with Bridge. Although most functions overlap, they are not identical.
No calendar in Bridge
No Map view
No Face Tagging
Version Sets? Depending on what they are referring to, this functionality may be able to be duplicated.

It was decided that most PSE users on the Mac would use iPhoto for organizing since it's included on every Mac (or Bridge) and PSE for editing. Since you can set iPhoto to use PSE as an external editor the two work nicely together.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Photoshop is a fantastic program for a lot of things. And so is PSE. I may be misinterpreting the kind of book you are referring to - but, if your book contains multiple pages, and you want to publish and print it as a book - then, you might consider doing it in InDesign.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Gawet,

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Mike - Sorry my comments were a bit ambiguous. I'm not writing a book - rather, am studying one I purchased. (Am I the only Mac person in the world who is PS "dumb?" - Still figuring out what the tools do.)

Terry - Makes all the sense in the world. Just wish the book's author had referenced these features to the Windows version.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
(Am I the only Mac person in the world who is PS "dumb?" - Still figuring out what the tools do.)

No!

-

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Photoshop is an extremely deep and complex program. I've been using Photoshop since version 3 or 4. For all the years that I've been using it on an extensive basis, I still don't know every nuance. Never will. There are a multitude of ways to accomplish similar tasks. Most people that consider themselves PS experts will probably attest to the fact it's almost impossible to know "it all".

When it comes to PS, the only thing we can do is keep at it. Focus on the task at hand, and keep using it. Sort of on the job training - and, it never stops.

Add me to the dumb list.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Gawet,

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Think of Photoshop as a grocery store. Now someone says go in, get everything you need to prepare a meal. No two people are going to go in and grab the exact same items and prepare the exact same meal the exact same way. There are infinite possibilities and therefore although I can show you what every single tool does (actually it wouldn't take that long either), there are an infinite number of combinations on how you could use them together.

Every time I see Scott Kelby show a technique that I've never seen before, I never say "OMG I never knew PS could do that!" Instead I say, "huh, I never thought to do those things in that order to achieve that result."

He has a 4 hour PS retouching class on KelbyTraining.com. I learned a ton of new things to do to a photo, but none of it was anything that I didn't know the program could do. I learned his recipes if you will.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
PS has managed to get simpler and more complex at the same time (if that's possible). EX: a drop shadow is a simple thing, now. It wasn't always so. I can remember, in one of the first versions of PS, having to copy and paste a shape/image, fill it with color, blur it, and send it to the back in the stacking order. There were no layers. There was no History. There were just Undos. Period. Many of the newer features that have arisen over the past number of years make many simple functions a no brainer. But, put them altogether, and knowing how to achieve what you want, is where the complexity comes. And, as Terry mentioned, there are various recipes to achieve the same result. The learning process never ends. But, it's exciting - and, well worth the effort to keep learning.

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the encouragement. Mike - you can't possibly be "PS dumb" since your experience goes back so far. I was talking about REALLY, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y DUMB!

I am still constantly amazed at how MANY things can be done with the modern personal computer. It's tempting to have "eyes bigger than your stomach," as the old saying goes.