Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    PS help for a beginner
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PS help for a beginner
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted
Anyone available for photoshop help? I want to chat or air connect about a couple of problems I'm having with a project.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Possibly Char and I could help. What kind of problem are you having?

248-546-9339

Posts: 1640 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
Brian,
Many thanks. I had class this morning and it was refreshing. After class was over 5 of us had a talk with the instructor, we were all confused about the objectives and methods to achieve the assignment. I'm happy that I'm not the only student having issues. We all stated the our lab assistant is a waste of time since he has no patience. Also the teacher throws in so many short cuts before explaining the method to accomplish the task. If this wasn't an introductory class, then these teaching methods would be ok. But a number of us were lost, with the same reasons. Guess I should have taken this class at Schoolcraft.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Out of curiosity, where are you taking the course? And why do you think Schoolcraft might have been better? Instructor-student connection is crucial. Teaching styles differ vastly. For many part-time instructors, even though they may be knowledgeable professionals in their field, it can be difficult for them to put themselves in a rank-beginner's shoes. Unless you have a personal, trusted recommendation that the instructor at Schoolcraft is terrific, you might not be any better there.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I've been teaching basic Photoshop for about 3 years and I have a few questions for you. How many hours is the course and what are your expectations about what you will learn? Photoshop is such a broad program that if you are interested in photography for example, you almost have to sign up for a course tailored to that as opposed to one that encompasses it all such as graphics, 3D, etc.

Do you work from a book at your lab station or does your instructor actively work along with the class on each lesson on a projector? Do you all move together like a convoy trying not to let anyone fall behind? To introduce a new topic, does he show you a short (PowerPoint) program or examples outlining the basic theory and principle behind what you are going to study? Then in the hands-on lab session do you put those principles into use?

Does he try to guide you to a strong understanding of the best of the basic procedures, the tried and true, the most frequently used and useful, to get you up and running rather than taking up valuable time either with various esoteric details of the program which may amaze you but which you’ll quickly forget or prosaic techniques which you’ll never seriously use?

Are you given any aids (handouts, reading, movie viewing) to help you Retain and Utilize the info?

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Photoshop CS5 Schoolcraft Continuing Ed Instructor speaking...
I guarantee that you will get more than you ever dreamed
explained to you in ways that you understand.

We've only had one class, you still can sign up for my class
by going to the registration office.

Chita Hunter

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
Chita is the reason I mentioned Schoolcraft. I'll update this thread after my next class this Saturday.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Well, if Chita is at Schoolcradt then I would go with that class. We know Chita's talents and abilities. I bet she excels as an instructor. It's OK if your ears are burning, Chita. Smile

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Rich and Barb: Where have you been teaching your classes? You comments were right on.

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
I teach Basic Photoshop for photographers at Midwest Photography Workshops in Farmington, www.mpw.com. This is not a degree granting institution but it is college level. Though many beginners take my class, its not just Beginning PS. In this hands-on lab course limited to 9 people max, I try to cover the basic heart of the program to get you up and running on a professional level: Bridge, Camera Raw, Layers, Layer Masks, Adjustments Panel, most of the tools in the Tool panel, retouching, and composites all done non-destructively. Visual demos are shown to illustrate the principles behind all the processes. Its a 6-week course and it comes with an all day printing session, PS CS5 book for reference, many notes and other aids and handouts. Cost is $395.

Thanks for asking,
Rich

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post