Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    PS Elements versions question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PS Elements versions question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
I'm confused about Mac versions of the latest PSElements. Anything I've found about v.7 says it's Windows only. Adobe isn't offering PSElements 6 for Mac in their store - only v.7. (I spent about 15 minutes hunting on their site, hoping to buy directly from Adobe. They have the v.6 Help system, but don't sell the v.6 application directly.)

I ordered v.6 from Amazon yesterday, but now an email says Scott Kelby has a new book about v.7 out. - I assume it's for the Windows version.
???

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I don't know about Scott's book, but Adobe has PSElements 6 at http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelmac/

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jim - Very interesting. They sure have it hidden. I looked on the Adobe site in their "Store," under "Products" & followed links. I spent a fair amount of time trying to find it, and assumed they were promoting v.7/Windows & just didn't sell it directly anymore.

Amazon's price was discounted. Don't know if there's an upgrade price or not. (I have v.2)

Thanks. How in the world did you find it? I tried their search box, anything & everything I could think of. Searched for something like "Photoshop Elements 6 Mac," and just got a long list of reference docs. Store didn't list it.
Very peculiar.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
The version numbers for PE between Windows and Mac have usually not been the same. Check the features, not the version numbers. Version 7 for Windows may very well be equivalent to Version 6 for Mac. The Windows version, as I recall, has included something iPhoto to file your pictures.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,

www.adobe.com
click on pse in the product listing.
get to page with Windows version in large print.
click on Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 for Macintosh in the Related Products fine print on the right side.

I generally find the search function on the Adobe site useless for my purposes. Apple is slightly better, but only slightly. Most vendor sites are written by skilled programmers for glitz-enamored marketers, not for real users, and full of flash rather than function.

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Jim - I found it.

Seems to me there's a place on big sites for real customers (I agree with you 100%) and another place somewhere for pizzazz & demo-ing what their products can do.

I mean these comments in a constructive way:
Wouldn't it make sense that if one selects "Products" in the menu at the top of the Adobe.com page, then goes to "Photoshop Family" in the list, you could expect to see Elements 6 included somewhere? Nowhere to be found. PSElements 7 is at the top of the page. Scroll down to "Consumer photo and video products" - Still only Elements 7.

Back to the Adobe Home page:
Lower left, "Products and solutions/Products/See all products" - There it is, v.6 for Mac on that page.

"Products and solutions/Solutions/Consumer photo and video" - v.7 only

"Products and solutions/Solutions/See all products" - not there.

I guess the point is the inconsistency of choices. And if the "Search" doesn't find the application in their store, well…

Dig deep enough, and you can find it if you're persistent. But surely there's a more efficient approach.

Also meant as a constructive comment: Why is so much Flash necessary? It REALLY slows everything to a crawl. Slowest site I've used, including such monsters as Amazon.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
While I agree that Adobe.com could be better, I did exactly as you suggested!

1. I went to Adobe.com
2. I went to Products and then down to Photoshop Family
3. I scrolled down the page and saw "Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 for Macintosh"

Granted its not at the top of the page or in big bold print, but it is there as it should be right on the page with the rest of the Photoshop family.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

pse

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. My apologies if my eyesight was off. However it somehow makes more sense to me that the Mac version would get "equal billing" with the Windows-only version, since there are in fact 2 distinct versions for the different platforms. Mac people would be less likely to wind up lost & confused as I really was the day I went on a mission to buy PSElements.

I think of it as a web design issue, since companies that do business on the web obviously want sales. And part of that is to make it as easy & intuitive as possible for potential customers to find the product they're interested in.

As I said, I meant my comments to be constructive - the kind that a company might want from a survey on their site's "usability" factors. Adobe has developed wonderful products that many of us depend on, so we care about the site when looking for something important to us.

I'm ready to let it go. PSElements 6-Mac is on its way from Amazon, and my goal was accomplished.