Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    Kodak PhotoCD files & CS3
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kodak PhotoCD files & CS3
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
I can't open my old PhotoCD (PCD) files in PhotoShop CS3. I installed the plug-in that came with the install discs but this is not working.

Intel iMac running 10.5

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I did some for a friend recently. Had to use an older machine running OS9, save the files onto a flash drive then load them on a machine running OSX and burn CD's. It did not work in Classic, (for me). You must be running directly from a OS9 booted machine. I also did quite a bit of searching and could not find another work around.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that I accessed some shots on one of my Photo CD's since I've been on Mac OS X and it was probably the CS3 timeframe.

I can't remember exactly what I did, but I seem to remember using Bridge to browse the CD and grab the pics from one of the folders.

I'm not home now so I can't test this. However, like I said, it wasn't that long ago and I'm pretty sure I did it on my Mac Pro and I know that Mac OS 9 was NOT involved, so there had to be a way to do it at least within the last year.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
A number of sources claim it is possible to open PhotoCD files with PhotoShop CS3 using a FREE plug-in. Other sources say it's almost fruitless.

PhotoCD files are written on CD-R's, which should be readable by nearly all readers. They use a unique (5-resolution) file format in the (archival) YCC color space. The files have a .PCD suffix.

One application that opens *.PCD files is GraphicConverter from Lemke Software. $45 retail pricing. Serious photographers need it.

DeBabelizer Pro 6 might work if you have a PPC Mac. $300 retail.

PhotoCD images are high quality. Some free software converts them to JPEG's, which could be good or bad. What's certain is, it's a terrible waste of quality images.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I have a quite a few PhotoCDs from my days working at Meteor Photo, I'd hate for these to be useless, but I have the negatives for most of them. Graphic Converter seems to be able to open them, but only the low res files. It says to open 16 Base & 64 Base images to launch GraphicConverter under Rosetta on Intel Macs, how do I do this?

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Rosetta (like the Rosetta Stone) is a translator-emulator. It's probably not worth the trouble. Try using GraphicConverter on a G4 or G5. Here's what Apple says about Rosetta:

quote:
New applications bearing the Universal symbol will run natively on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Mac computers. What about the applications you already own? Enter Rosetta. You’ll never see it, you’ll never configure it, you’ll never have to think about it. It’s built into Mac OS X to ensure that most of your existing applications live a long and fruitful life.

Here's what Brian Lawler says about the PhotoCD conversion process.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Alright it wasn't that difficult at all, just had to "get info" and select "Open using Rosetta", now I can open them at the highest resolution possible!

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Bibo-when did you work at Meteor? I worked ther from 1980 until 1990. Paul Corsa

Posts: 152 | Location: Commerce Township | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
From Feb 1989 - Feb 1998 I worked in the Slide Department/Business Graphics and then in the Premier Department. Your name sounds familiar.

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Corsa:
Bibo-when did you work at Meteor? I worked ther from 1980 until 1990. Paul Corsa