Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    iphoto 09 or photoshop CS4 for poster collage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iphoto 09 or photoshop CS4 for poster collage?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted
I am working on a memorial for a friend. I need to do a poster collage that has about 90 or so pictures (horizontal and vertical). What is the best way to do this?

Thanks,
Natalie

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
1. I'm not sure that you can create a poster in iPhoto
nor place that many images on any single page/card, etc.

2. If you know how to use Photoshop, it would be the best
choice for creativity and flexibility.

Posts: 1615 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Hi Chita,
I do remember reading something about making an iphoto collage. I know you could make little thumbnails in the contact sheet in photoshop-but I had a heck of a time finding the contact sheet in CS4 (it was moved to the cd's goodies folder!) I was just wondering if there was a better way in iphoto.

Posts: 461 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
Haven't used it, but you might want to check out this freeware.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Natalie,

If you are looking for mosaic-type collage, with images fitting and being sized within tiles, you might want to take a look a MozoDojo. A free download, shareware.

http://www.apple.com/downloads...ing_3d/mozodojo.html

Obviously, to have more control Photoshop is your best bet. You could set up a grid, and insert images horizontally and vertically. It takes more time and effort (and some masking), but the outcome is totally controllable.

If you'd like to see some of the mosaic stuff that I've done in the past, please take a look at this page on my website.

http://www.digiartcreations.com/mosaics.html

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Natalie:

You do not want to make a "Contact Sheet" in Photoshop for this project. Contact sheet makes a white page with individual photos in the number of columns and rows that you specify using the file name below each picture, (if you so desire). Each picture will be surrounded in white much the same way your grade school wallet size photos were.

No one has asked but how big is the final picture going to be? Photoshop won't care but it will need to be pretty good size to be able to make out the 90 images. This will not work on an 8.5" x 11" print. Create it in Photoshop or PS Elements and ship it off to Costco for one of their Up to 20" x 30" prints for a very low price as follows. $2.99 - 11x14, $2.99 - 12x18, $5.99 - 16x20 & $8.99 - 20x30.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Do you need to be a member to use Costco for photos?

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
The final poster size will be 20x30. And yes-Costco is great for pictures-but you need to be a member.

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
I am not really sure if you need to be a member, but I don't think so. They do take orders over the internet and ship them directly to your home/work so it is possible membership is not required. I seem to remember ordering DVD's from them before becoming a member.

You could call them to find out. Go to Costco.com and their store locator will give a phone number to any specific store. The one on Telegraph (here)

Costco
2343 South Telegraph Rd
Bloomfield MI 48302
(248) 836-1601

does the large prints in the store or shipped to your home.

Posts: 1642 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Natalie,
1. You may or may not want to use Contact Sheet depending on
what you want your final result to look like.
(This feature was taken out of PS CS4 and placed into Bridge CS4,
but for those who really wanted the ability back in PS, the plug--in is
available on the PS CD.
You have more flexibility from Bridge CS4 PDF Contact Sheet.
Hit the Refresh button often. Smile)

2. Do you mean poster like a high-school/college type locker poster
where the images are in a grid or a collage, where the images typically overlap?

3. Do you have InDesign CS4?
InDesign CS4 can help you place all of those images in a horizontal/ vertical
grid in one fell swoop. Then you can do formatting of the frames, etc...

4. There's many options... Smile

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Hi Chita,
I was thinking to fit that many pictures in such a short time (I have to scan and edit them),among a few other things I am doing for the memorial. I would need to do what ever is quickest, which is grid/collage. I will look at bridge. I do have InDesign CS4, how do you do that in InDesign? I would have never imagined that program for this project?

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
After setting up your document...
1. File > Place > Select all 90 images
2. With the cursor loaded > hold down the Shift+Command keys.
You will see a grid icon appear next to the cursor
3. Start dragging with the mouse (top left, to lower right margins of your doc)
4. Release the Shift+Command keys, keep mouse held down
5. Press left/right arrow keys (mouse still held down) to
increase/decrease horizontal amout of grid squares.
Press up/down arrow keys (mouse still held down)
to increase/decrease vertical amount of grid squares
6. When you release the mouse, your images will populate the grid.
The images will come in proportional to their original dimensions.
A new perk in ID CS4.
7. To increase/decrease the amount of spacing between the horizontal
or vertical grid, add the Shift key while pressing the up/down/left/right arrows.

Let me know if you need any further clarification.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHunter,

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Thank you Chita-I think this is the best option!

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Great!
Happy to help.

C

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
It worked perfectly and it was by far the fastest!!! I love InDesign! Thank you Chita!

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Smile
You're welcome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CHunter,