Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Photoshop SIG    Help! PSE 9 bugs and no way to get Adobe Support
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! PSE 9 bugs and no way to get Adobe Support
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
AIM: Online Status For StevenGold
posted
I'm having trouble with PSE9 and finding there doesn't seem to be:
(1) any way to report bugs to Adobe without paying to do so.
(2) any way to figure out why something doesn't work without paying to do so.
(3) any way to get useful information out of "Adobe Community Help" since there is no way to search it.

So read on. Anyone know why Adobe makes it so hard? Mad

ISSUE #1:
Both PSE9 and Organizer are writing tens of thousands of messages to the System Log. Some samples:
quote:
Steven-J-Golds-MacBook-Pro Adobe Elements 9 Organizer[927]: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
Jan 18 19:14:58 Steven-J-Golds-MacBook-Pro Adobe Elements 9 Organizer[927]: CGContextSaveGState: invalid context 0x0

and
quote:
Jan 18 19:14:33 Steven-J-Golds-MacBook-Pro Adobe Photoshop Elements[921]: CGContextSetFillColorSpace: invalid context 0x983747a1

It's writing several megabytes per hour of these, and there is no way I can find to report this to Adobe or find out why.

ISSUE #2:
*Any* attempt to create a greeting card causes PSE to throw up an error dialog-box saying "Valid size not available for this creation". The box only has an "OK" button, and you can't get past this point.
Once again, I am unable to find out why this is happening or what the message means. No help or information is available that I can find (unless I pay for it?).

Yes, I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the entire PSE9 & PE9 bundle, and repeating everything from a freshly created new "virgin" login ID.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
quote:
Valid size not available for this creation

I Googled the phrase and got this from Adobe Help Forum http://forums.adobe.com/message/3389032?tstart=0.

It's a place to start.

Posts: 1655 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
That didn't work, and I'm not surprised. One of the things I had done was to *completely* (after deauthorizing) remove everything Adobe from my computer using first the 3 well-hidden Adobe uninstallers, and then the many remaining files found by the "Find Any File" program, including several invisible and hidden "dotted" ones. Included in this were all preference files for all Adobe products.

I did this because the suite thought my computer was located in Europe(!) -- causing other problems -- and there doesn't seem to be any way to change this short of a reinstall. I've used Adobe products since they were all version 1.0, and over the years and untold computer upgrades & migrations, I seem to have accumulated hundreds, no, make that thousands of Adobe-related files in the /Library and ~Library, most of which were used by obsolete versions no longer on my system. And it was impossible to figure out which were really current and which were "orphans". So I decided just to clean house and reinstall my current Adobe products. (Now I have thousands less files in the libraries which contain "Adobe" in their names and I recovered over a gig of disk space.)

So my re-installation was the equivalent of installing PSE on a system which had never had any Adobe product install, and free of any possible potential issues from earlier versions.

Another thing I tried was to create a brand-new OSX user account, log in and immediately launch PSE and attempt to create a greeting card. Same error. Since the prefs are specific to each users, that should have eliminated any corrupted prefs errors. So the problem isn't user-specific.
Guess I'll try a "safe boot" next just incase there is something system-wide which is conflicting with it.

Posts: 234 | Location: Oak Park, MI | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Steven,
I can tell that you're frustrated, perhaps even angry, but your statements simply aren't true:

1) FREE: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/...shform&promoid=EWQQL

2) Simple google search of "Adobe Complementary Support" took me here: http://www.adobe.com/support/p...ms/customer/gss.html

3) There's a search bar at the top of the Photoshop Elements Support page: http://www.adobe.com/support/photoshopelements/ along with a ton of other resources that are FREE.

The support options here are not much different than support from Apple's website on products that are similar in cost. Of course you could always call Apple with an AppleCare contract, but that's not Free either.

If you're still not getting the support you need, I'd be happy to help you escalate your issue through Adobe's various support channels.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven J Gold:
I'm having trouble with PSE9 and finding there doesn't seem to be:
(1) any way to report bugs to Adobe without paying to do so.
(2) any way to figure out why something doesn't work without paying to do so.
(3) any way to get useful information out of "Adobe Community Help" since there is no way to search it.

So read on. Anyone know why Adobe makes it so hard? Mad

ISSUE #1:
Both PSE9 and Organizer are writing tens of thousands of messages to the System Log. Some samples:
quote:
Steven-J-Golds-MacBook-Pro Adobe Elements 9 Organizer[927]: CGContextRestoreGState: invalid context 0x0
Jan 18 19:14:58 Steven-J-Golds-MacBook-Pro Adobe Elements 9 Organizer[927]: CGContextSaveGState: invalid context 0x0

and
quote:
Jan 18 19:14:33 Steven-J-Golds-MacBook-Pro Adobe Photoshop Elements[921]: CGContextSetFillColorSpace: invalid context 0x983747a1

It's writing several megabytes per hour of these, and there is no way I can find to report this to Adobe or find out why.

ISSUE #2:
*Any* attempt to create a greeting card causes PSE to throw up an error dialog-box saying "Valid size not available for this creation". The box only has an "OK" button, and you can't get past this point.
Once again, I am unable to find out why this is happening or what the message means. No help or information is available that I can find (unless I pay for it?).

Yes, I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the entire PSE9 & PE9 bundle, and repeating everything from a freshly created new "virgin" login ID.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Hey Steven:

Did you get your issues resolved? If so why not share the resolution so if it ever happens again to others the answer will be available.

Posts: 1655 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Steven J Gold
posted Hide Post
Terry, thanks. Brian, no joy. I've spent many frustrating hours on this prior to my posting and have a lot of "billable"work I'm behind on (Admittedly, not due to PSE) I was just working my way through the exercises in the new Adobe PSE 9 Classroom-in-a-Book when I discovered the issue(s).

So except for booting into OSX Safe Mode and doing a PSE "reset preferences" -- all to no effect, I haven't done any further troubleshooting or followed through on the resources Terry provided. I hope to resume troubleshooting probably next week.