Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Upcoming Events    Welcome to Macintosh to air on CNBC on January 4th, 2010
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome to Macintosh to air on CNBC on January 4th, 2010
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted
via MacWorld
Welcome to Macintosh to air on CNBC on January 4th, 2010
Set your DVRs, people. On January 4th, 2010 at 9:30PM Eastern, CNBC will broadcast Welcome to Macintosh, an independent documentary chronicling Apple's history.

The documentary is already available in iTunes, but you can save your hard-earned dollars for additional iPhone apps instead if you choose to watch the free-as-in-beer airing early next year.

And it's definitely worth watching, based on the description alone, which mentions interviews with Andy Hertzfeld (one of the creators of the original Macintosh), Guy Kawasaki, and Ron Wayne, Apple's own Pete Best. (Not to mention frequent Macworld contributor John Moltz!)

If Welcome to Macintosh doesn't satisfy your CNBC/Apple-themed documentary craving, you'll also want to catch Planet of the Apps: A Handheld Revolution, airing January 7th on the same network.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Being the last person in America not to have cable, I rented the movie at iTunes for $4 last night, but I didn't think much of it.

Admittedly, I don't care for movies or TV; in general, I don't enjoy merely watching things. But this program is even duller than most. True, Andy Hertzfield gets a lot of camera time, but then so does hack writer Leander Kahney, who knows nothing that you and I don't know, but he's like the kid who could always fake his way through a book report without having opened the book. (I have a funny review of Leander Kahney's book "Inside Steve's Brain" posted at Amazon.)

In short, if you've read anything at all about Apple's history, you won't learn anything from the talking heads in this movie. Instead, you get to see various old Macs posed in rural settings: in a field, on farm implements, &c. When the movie goes on a tour of some old guy's house showing all the old and discarded Macs he's collected over the years, it becomes like that show about hoarders.

Then there's a montage of people telling the film makers that they'll never get to talk with Steve Jobs, and of course, they get nowhere near anyone currently working for Apple. Even the footage showing Steve is very old. The interviewees do, however, express the unanimous opinion that "Steve Jobs ist Apple und Apple ist Steve Jobs!" and alarmingly predict that when Steve leaves (they always use a euphemism for "dies") there is absolutely no hope for Apple, that it will be as a ship with no one at the helm, and the company will go into an immediate fatal tailspin. (Now, apparently, would be a good time to sell your Apple, Inc. stock.)

Although I didn't think much of it, it IS the Mac feel-good movie of the year, and if you're of the Cult of Mac, missing it would be like missing the Pope's New Year's benediction, so you'll certainly watch it anyway.

BTW, I tried recording the movie using QTX's screen-capture feature, but of course, that didn't work -- nothing but a gray screen.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
[Being the last person in America not to have cable,[/quote]

We've never had cable or satellite TV - just OTA with a rooftop antenna. We love PBS & the 56 sub-channels. Great programming, free, donations a good idea to keep it coming.

We've been told we live in an exceptionally good reception location, somewhat higher than much of SE Michigan. Also are close to some of the stations.

Hi-speed internet by AT&T DSL.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen the movie, but have seen comments that Tim Cook did a superb job keeping Apple going while Jobs was on medical leave. - He did it so well, that the company's dealings appeared to move seamlessly.

I don't know the corporate world, but that seems a good indication that Jobs has people in the fold who understand and can implement the Apple philosophy & vision.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of cjhall
posted Hide Post
Tuesday 1/5 CNBC 10:00PM - MacHEADS.

I'm taping this show.

Posts: 172 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
That's another criticism I have of the movie. It, like many of the Cult of Mac, attributes too much to Chairman Steve, and assumes that the entire corporation depends on him. He is regarded as a mastermind, the Auric Goldfinger of Silicon Alley, when I suspect that he actually had little to do with creating the marvelously-successful products Apple has introduced, and he is certainly not the mastermind behind the outrageous ongoing global-media-blitz over the mystery Mac tablet. (Even my grand-nephew in Poland, to whom I send my old Macs, sends me messages concerning what he's heard about the iTablet.)

The movie shows a photo of Steve, legs akimbo, holding the original iMac in his lap, and it gives the impression that Steve himself created the iMac from whole cloth, when it was already in design before Steve's triumphant return to Apple.

By most accounts, Steve Jobs is a very good manager, but Apple, Inc. seemed to function quite well during his absence. The trouble, however, is that since everyone, all the talking heads in the movie, for example, think Steve is this Svengali, and they think that Apple's success is entirely dependent on him, then Apple's stock price certainly will plummet should he become incapacitated (by death, for example).

Or perhaps Apple's marvelous marketers will have Steve's corpse cryogenically preserved for future revival, or they will spread rumors that Steve continues to run Apple from the Astral Plane. You can easily imagine, can't you, Steve's head, in a bell jar with wires and tubes at the base, barking orders.

This is America! Anything may happen!

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
While I certainly don't believe that Steve himself is designing products, I think the thing that you're not giving him credit for is his "vision" on how a product should be or work. In other words I think if you look back at the products that Apple was producing during his absence and the products that Apple started producing once he returned I think you will see a trend that Steve brought to the table of products having to have a certain level of simplicity and elegance.

This is what makes Apple what it is today! Steve is/was very adamant about certain aspects of all the products released since he's been there. Right or wrong it seems to be working.

So again, while he's not in the labs designing models and plastics, I think you are under estimating his "influence" on the products coming out of Apple.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Well, in that case, best sell all your Apple, Inc. stock before Steve's death or retirement.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Only if you assume he hasn't groomed anyone with a like vision as a replacement. Reports would suggest that Tim Cook is considered to be Steve's likely succesor, esp. since he was in charge during Jobs' illness.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
I agree with Terry - Make no mistake that Jobs is the visionary genius that drives - indeed MADE - the company. Personally, I think he ranks up there with people like Walt Disney was to the last century. Fortune mag had good reason to designate Jobs CEO of the Decade (Nov. 23 issue). That said, I have no doubts that he can also "envision" Apple's direction when he's gone. (We'll all go sometime!) - His potential successors are probably under his wing even as we speak.

There are always those who make a demi-god out of a superior leader, and those who are more practical in looking at the nuts & bolts of a situation. Just keep your wits about you, enjoy Apple's products (that everyone else seems to want to emulate), and have fun.

Re Jobs role - I remember Woz's comments the first time he came to MG: Jobs tended to be the marketer from the very beginning: "Who will buy this from us?" "How can we sell it?" If you want what may be a more penetrating story about Apple's beginnings than the current movie may be, buy the MG DVD of that speech. Who can possibly know more than Woz! Absolutely fascinating. I gave a copy to our financial manager, who was one of the thousands of investment pros who were completely stunned when Apple's stock headed for the stars.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
Keith there doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with you Smile

Clearly you don't value S Jobs contributions as a CEO based on what you're saying Apple was running just fine without ($9/share) him and everything that has happened since his return would have happened anyway right? iMac, iPod, iPhone, etc.?

So there was no need to bring him back at all. What a waste Smile ($214/share)

SELL SELL SELL

Headed to eTrade now before it's too late Smile

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Jack, the point of my original post -- about the movie-- was that no one seems to care about the people Steve Jobs promoted and who are responsible for the day-to-day workings at Apple, Inc.

They, apparently like some people here whom I admire, seem to believe that it's Steve, Steve, and only Steve who is responsible for Apple's turnaround. This line of thought will certainly cause Apple's stock to plummet should anything happen to Steve.

I have read enough about Chairman Steve to form the opinion that, despite being mercurial and capricious, Steve is a great manager. But the old-school managers like Gil Amelio (I have his book) were so poor and unimaginative as to make anyone who followed a greater success.

I have worked in enough businesses to realize that success or failure never depends on one person, no matter how gifted; it's usually a team effort. Whatever Steve's brilliance, Apple would have been a failure had it lacked innovative engineers and designers – not just Tim Cook and Jonathan Ive (neither of whom appear in the movie) but an entire team.

But if you believe that Apple's success is due solely to the vision and genius of Steve, it necessarily and indisputably follows that when he goes, so goes Apple.