Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Upcoming Events    MacGroup Photo Walk - Detroit Zoo - July 19th
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MacGroup Photo Walk - Detroit Zoo - July 19th
 Login/Register

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted
Hello,

Join me for our first MacGroup Photo Walk!

This is for all the Photographers (hobbyists and pros and anybody else with a camera) in our group! We're going to do our first group photo walk at the Detroit Zoo.

When: Join us Saturday, July 19th from 10AM to 2PM at the Detroit Zoo (Zoo hours 9:30 am - 5:00 pm).

Why: Because we want to take pictures and it's a chance for us to do it as a group. It's for fun!

Cost: The admission price to the Zoo is: Admission Fees: $11.00 - Adult, 13 years - 61, $7.00 - Child, 2 - 12 years, $9.00 - Senior, 62 years+

What to bring: Your camera (duh), memory cards, a hat (Indiana Jones style would be cute, but it's up to you), charged batteries, and other gear you want to show off (we'll be so impressed and promise to oooh and ahhh)

Where: Meet us at the front gate. We'll hang out until 10:15, after that you'll have to find us. Detroit Zoological Society, 8450 W. 10 Mile Road , Royal Oak, MI 48067

How will we be able to see the pictures that everyone takes?: I'll put up a .Mac/mobileme Web Gallery and allow members access to post to it. There may even be prizes for the best pictures :-)

Be sure to READ the policy on taking pictures at the Zoo:
http://www.detroitzoo.org/Visitors/Photo_Policy/Photo_Policy/

Tripods:
A tripod or monopod is not permitted for film, video and still photography non-commercial use in any of the indoor buildings during posted Zoo hours. Tripods may be used outdoors as long as they do not block any walkways or interfere with visitor traffic.

So come have fun with us!

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of MaryG
posted Hide Post
I'm so excited that you're instituting photowalks for our user group. I'll be out of town for the month of July, but I hope you continue these on a regular basis. Just a suggestion...maybe you could organize a photowalk to shoot some of Detroit's beautiful art deco architecture. Thanks, Terry, for the time you put into making our Macintosh users group so successful.

Posts: 190 | Location: Shelby Township, Michigan | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Maybe a visit to the WWJ building on 8 mile road. Does anybody know a contact for this?

Posts: 1964 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
The WWJ building is either owned by CBS or WDIV to my knowledge, I would contact News Radio 95 on AM or WDIV. I suspect the News Radio is the owner. Perhaps they could assist as to access to the building.

http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=98407.0

http://www.flickr.com/photos/88067061@N00/52072236

http://www.amtower.com/wwj.htm

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
WDIV has no connection with the building or property.

I don't believe the old WWJ tx building is open for tours, as it is mostly now a storage area and backup transmitter site (with the one remaining AM tower), should the main facililty downriver have problems. Their studios are in a nondescript building in a Southfield office park.
I will check with my contact at CBS, but I recall hearing that they frequently receive and deny similar requests.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
I like the zoo.

I'll be there!

Thom

Posts: 189 | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of switcher
posted Hide Post
Out of town, otherwise would go.

Another one would be great.

Jeff B

Posts: 182 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Upcoming photo walk in August!

Suggestions for a location?

The current ones on the table are:
Greenfield Village
Detroit Water Front
Belle Isle
Ren Cen
DIA
Tiger Stadium
Eastern Market

What else are we missing? Where would you like the next one to be?

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
The old train station!

Safety in numbers, right?
Smile

I'm up for a monthly photo walk, if we could get to that point. (Or heck, a WEEKLY one!)

Thom

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Cranbrook gardens

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I was thinking Cranbrook too! Do we know their photo policies? Especially if it's a large group walking the grounds?

quote:
Originally posted by Rich&Barb:
Cranbrook gardens

----

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thom:
The old train station!

Safety in numbers, right?
Smile

I dont think you will get "legal" access to the building.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1722 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Chris Doerner-McCary
AIM: Online Status For cemccary
posted Hide Post
Count me and two pals for the Zoo. What a great idea. Smile

LIONS and TIGERS and BEARS, oh my!!!

If one beholds the sublime in art - one can view Mac as an artform!

Posts: 141 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
I was thinking Cranbrook too! Do we know their photo policies? Especially if it's a large group walking the grounds?

quote:
Originally posted by Rich&Barb:
Cranbrook gardens

I went in there last summer and took some photos of my cough car cough...but I had to sweet talk to the security guard to get in. I told them I was just going to take a look around and then leave. I was there for maybe 30 min.

You used to be able to just drive in...but now there's a guard at the entrance. Not sure what the photo policies are, either. Frown

Thom

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
I left a message with someone at Cranbrook regarding a Photo tour/visit today. Their website states that groups larger than 15 need a 4 week lead time. Fees seem reasonable for the Garden tour and only a few bucks more for the Home tour.

I will post more info as it becomes available.

I can check into Meadowbrook too, as I may still have connections there.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2101 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
We weren't thinking of the official home or garden tour (didn't know they offered them) just roaming the grounds on our own as a group with cameras as we've done numerous times in the past and it's always been free and no problem. But the official home and/or garden tour, now that you mention it, sounds unique and special, assuming interiors of homes would be included too. If their price is comparable to a zoo admission, this could be a hit.

Posts: 417 | Location: greater detroit area | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Another shooting location thought: This location would be on my wish list. I would like to be on a downtown rooftop with a view of the annual Detroit fireworks with camera and tripod at hand. I've been to Windsor many times for this event but would like to try this side of the river with maybe the RenCen as a silohette in the foreground instead of the background. An example would be the Blue Cross bldg. There would probably be much less of an investment in time and hassles vs. going to Canada too. You could charge admission for this and I'd pay gladly.

Jedi Knight
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
I think I've heard that Canada (eh?) is less crowded...since it's not their holiday.

AND...

You could get the shot of downtown Detroit with the fireworks. Far better visual than looking at Canada.

Smile

Thom

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
The fireworks in Detroit/Windsor are part of the "International Freedom Festival". While we're celebrating Independence Day, they're celebrating Canada Day (1 July).

So the only reason for it to be less crowded would be because there's less Canadians.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Foiled again!

Well, at least the view would be better from Canada, looking over to the US.

Thom