Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Upcoming Events    Apple Event Sept. 5
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Event Sept. 5
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buy on the fly iTunes ROCKS!
It's about time. Big Grin

Paying for ringtones still seems stupid and I can live with the iPhone "price reduction". Would be nice if Apple sent something as a gift to early adopters but like Terry says "Cutting edge makes you pay..."

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2118 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
The price reduction doesn't bother me - we all knew that was going to happen at some point.

The ringtones - keep yer crappy "pay me double and only a some songs", Steve. I can use lots of programs to make ringtones for FREE from songs I already bought once, either on CD or from iTMS.

The "buy on the fly" doesn't do much for me either. I like to control all that from my main desktop anyway. But at least I see some value in that. The ringtones though - how lame.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
AIM: Online Status For kirktalon
posted Hide Post
I was hoping the iPod touch would allow for being able to do webmail but I see the virtual keyboard is only allowed to come out and play when Googling or entering URLs. Anybody see different?

Guess keyboard for everything would make it too much like the iPhone. I can see their point.
It would kill off sales of iPhones. Nice way to delineate product lines even if I wish they didn't do it that way. Maybe they will move one more step in that direction when the iPhone can read your mind and type what you want to say from that. Opps forgot about voice recognition technology. That is much closer to coming true right? Having to use a keyboard will then be the low end feature. Oh Boy!!!

On the other hand, I'll bet it can be hacked pretty quick. (AND I don't have the know how to do that.)

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
The virtual keyboard is there. I just watched the Safari video to make sure. Also if you didn't have a keyboard, how would you go to a non-bookmarked site?

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
The keyboard is there, it's the dedicated email client that's missing. Webmail should be fine.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
I didn't explain myself enough.

The virtual keyboard is there but I don't see YET where it says I can go to http://www.mac.com and write an email of a couple lines or so to someone originating it all in webmail from the iPod touch. I'd be happy to be wrong. Is it so obvious that that feature would be there that they didn't bother to mention it?

I saw the video too.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Beckman:
The keyboard is there, it's the dedicated email client that's missing. Webmail should be fine.

That would be a real selling point for me.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Webmail is just another web form - Safari doesn't know the difference. If you can't fill out a form, you can't log in to use some web sites. If the keyboard doesn't come up for forms, the thing is useless.

===

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Like the iPhone you would either tap a bookmark to mac.com or key it in the the address bar. Once you're their you can use webmail with the virtual keyboard.

quote:
Originally posted by Kirk Tirakian:
I didn't explain myself enough.

The virtual keyboard is there but I don't see YET where it says I can go to http://www.mac.com and write an email of a couple lines or so to someone originating it all in webmail from the iPod touch. I'd be happy to be wrong. Is it so obvious that that feature would be there that they didn't bother to mention it?

I saw the video too.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
As soon as the Apple Store went back online I placed my order for a personalized iPod classic, 160GB in Black. This is the storage capacity I've been waiting for! While the Touch is pretty and all, I need over 100GB to take my entire library with me. It's all about the music for me!

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Be forewarned - the new iTunes (7.4) will erase any custom ringtones you already have on your iPhone when you sync.I only had one, so it's not a big deal for me, but if you have a bunch you might be unpleasantly surprised.

Thanks, Steve.

===

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
That really blows! Not only does it remove them, but of course it removes them from the contacts that you've assigned them to. Even if you put them back on and reassign them, the next sync with iTunes will remove them again.

The Ambrosia SW folks are already working on a fix. Someone discovered that if they were put in a different folder, then iTunes 7.4 wont' remove them:

The Cyberduck (SFTP client) method works without subsequent iTunes 7.4 erasure if the ringtones are placed in
/var/root/Library/Ringtones
instead of
/Library/Ringtones
I'd expect updates to the various ringtones apps will be quickly forthcoming. The question is now, will this still work after the next iPhone firmware update for the Wifi iTunes Store?

Luckily I saw Jacks message before I downloaded iTunes 7.4 and now I WON'T be downloading iTunes 7.4 until I can keep my own ringtones.

----