Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Help Wanted    Needs Silverfast Scanning Software Original CD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Needs Silverfast Scanning Software Original CD
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
Hi Everyone,

My friend, Glyn Grand, is in need of assistance(read below): He would deeply appreciate your help.

HELP

I have a scanning job in and my copy of Silverfast is corrupted. I need it for doing Negs!!! I tried installing from a file I had on disk and it isn't working. I need the original CD and it's packed away from my move. Who knows which box it's in? Do you know anyone who may have one I can borrow for this?

I got my copy bundled with my Epson 4870 scanner.

Let me know if you have anyone I can contact.

THX

Glyn
216-644-3448

PS: Glyn's email: Glyngrand(at)yahoo(dot)com

Posts: 38 | Location: Detroit, MI, USA | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Did he try Epson's website???

Seems that this link will get him the software he needs.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/S...s&platform=Macintosh

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
It sounds like Glyn POSSIBLY needs two things:

1. an Epson driver
2. SilverFast

It looks like Dave has suggested a solution to problem #1. Glyn could also call the Epson hotline.

As for SilverFast, that's probably not included on Epson's FREE download page. Glyn might try buying a copy of VueScan; a free trial version is available on the Web. SilverFast is fast going out-of-business; there's no point in investing more money there. They are not offering new software for any modern commodity scanners (e.g., Epson and Canon). They only service old, out-of-date, pricey (over priced) scanners.

Glyn should not be using a flatbed scanner to scan negatives, in my opinion. Using flatbeds (which scan reflective and transparency materials) is like using the proverbial "Swiss Army knife," which does a lot of things, none of them well. Use a modern film scanner for scanning film. It's important to buy one with Digital ICE^4. Use flatbeds for scanning paper, etc. Use cameras for "scanning" 2.5D or 3D materials.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Since the scanner has Digital Ice why not just use the Capture utility that comes with Mac OX 10.5. It will still do great scans and Photoshop can be used for any additional manipulation. I don't see why SilverFast is a requirement. Just a thought.

By the way I just did a comparison with SilverFasts compatability with Epsons Current Line of scanners and the Only Two (flat bed scanners) that are not supported are the following. Epson Perfection V30 Scanner & Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner probably because they are Low End, under $100.00 scanners

Here is information about the most current release of SilverFast.

Version 6.6.0r6: (2009-05-28)

* NEW:
o Epson Perfection V 750 Pro: Added full support for the EPSON X970
o All versions with camera raw support: Added support and profiles for raw images from Nikon D5000 and profiles for raw images from Canon EOS 1D Mark III.
o All versions with camera raw.: Added raw camera profiles for Canon EOS 1Ds Mark III.
* IMPROVEMENT:
o EPSON V700 / V750 / X970: Improved NegaFix Profiles for Epson V700 & V750
o All Minolta: Added new NegaFix profiles for Minolta scanners.
o All versions with camera raw.: Added support for raw images from camera Ricoh GX 200 shot with aspect ratio 1:1.
* BUGFIX:
o Epson Perfection 3170 / 3170 Photo: Added Vista 32/64 support for the EPSON Perfection 3170
o General: Kodachrome mode only available for SE + versions, but now also available in SE Demo.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
That's good, up-to-date information about SilverFast hardware compatibility. SilverFast hadn't done anything for the last 5 years with commodity scanners. Not everyone can afford a LinoType Saphir scanner. Big Grin

Canon doesn't seem to be supported as well as Epson at SilverFast. It might not be SilverFast's fault entirely - Canon can be rather uncooperative at times.

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
Picture of lorelei
posted Hide Post
You might be able to solve your issue with "corrupted" Silverfast by deleting the prefs...

http://www.silverfast.com/prob...echsupport&faq_id=59

Hope this helps... if not i have ver. 6.4.4r7a on my computer... unfortunately, the disk is an older version.

Posts: 54 | Registered: December 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post