Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Me and The Fonts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Me and The Fonts
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
800 MHZ PowerPC G4 Mac OSX 10.4.11 Tiger

I just don't understand anything at all about using Fonts even though I've read everything printed that I could find, including all the Font entries listed in iBBS Find. Anyone know of a beginners tutorial in the computer?
Here's my latest problem: I've been sending emails to someone named James III. Yesterday, when I typed James III, the III was replaced by 3 straight lines. How did this happen and how do I correct it? I tried to change Fonts but I couldn't figure out how to do it. What do you type in front of: ~/Library/Fonts?
Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Lois

Posts: 91 | Location: Royal Oak Michigan | Registered: June 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
First off, what program are you using for email? That will determine how you change fonts in the program.

Second, you have no business messing in the Fonts folder directly if you don't understand about fonts. Do yourself a *big* favor and stay out of there! You should manipulate fonts only via the Font Book application or one of the third-party ones available if you prefer. Have you opened Font Book? Open it up and look through the Help for starters.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Hanna
posted Hide Post
Apple has this documnet
http://images.apple.com/pro/pdf/L311277A_FontTT_v4.pdf

what you want is on page 10

Another question I have for you is where are all your fonts stored?

Other than the System/Lib/font folder where all system fonts are stored and used primarily by local OSX applications, the other fonts are usually installed in the

MacHD/Library/Fonts (by default)

You can also place fonts in the ~/Library/Fonts but it's best that if you are the only user on the machine, you simply pick one folder.

~ this is the symbol for your "home"

Are you using Font Book to manage your fonts? i.e. turning fonts on/off ?

Also when you compose a new email, you can go to the "Format" menu and select "Show Fonts"

From there you can select the text in your email and change the font - like Times Roman.

You could also go to Mail Preferences and click on the "Fonts & Colors" icon and from there set the default fonts Mail uses. So changing the "Message Font" may do the trick.

The font that will give the character style you want is Times Roman. This is also a common font on Windows so it's a safe bet usually.

http://www.hannafoto.com

"I'm only here for the cookies"

Posts: 162 | Location: Northville, MI | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
There's really nothing to correct. You're still typing the same characters, three capital "I's." but different typefaces will show those capital I characters either as plain vertical lines (Helvetica, Ariel, others) or as lines with "capitals" across the top and bottom (Verdana, for example).
What program are you using to send or view your mail? If you're using Apple's Mail program, you can set which fonts are used in the address fields, in the message body and in the message list. When in Mail, go to the Help menu and type Fonts in the search field for more info.

You can open the FontBook application to be able to see previews of what all the installed fonts on your machine look like.
There is a good book available on the subject:
Real World Mac OS X Fonts (Real World) (Paperback) by Sharon Zardetto Aker
At Amazon.com and other booksellers.
Also good, easy-to-digest info on fonts and everything else in David Pogue's Mac OSX, the Missing Manual (Tiger edition)

A quick FYI, Fonts are stashed in a number of places in OS X. There are fonts used by the operating system in the (DriveName)/System/Library/Fonts folder (don't ever mess with those!), fonts available for all users on the computer in (DriveName)/Library/Fonts, and fonts that can be put in your own user directory for your use only in ~/Library/Fonts. The tilde ~ character is shorthand to indicate your Home directory.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
1. Chuck's comments should help, re Helvetica, etc. and your "three straight lines."

2. To access other fonts than the default in Apple applications (Mail, etc., and some other third party ones occasionally), type the keystrokes Cmd-T. This will cause the Fonts panel to appear, from which you can select various fonts from whatever your system is listing. And be sure the words you want to change are selected when choosing something from the font panel. Otherwise no change will appear.

- Another way to get to font selections is from the "Format" menu, "Show Fonts."
- The Cmd-T keystroke is a toggle, so if the Font Panel is showing, you can hide it by typing the same keys again.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
P.S. - The subject of fonts is a huge one, so don't get bogged down by too many technicalities. If you do desktop publishing, you probably already have some background.
If I'm reading your question correctly, you basically want to know how to make changes in a document. - Hence my previous suggestion. Let us know if more info will help you out.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Jack,
I'm using Mac Mail Version 2.1.3.

I had already familiarized myself with Font Book before asking iBBS for help. The only thing I was able to do with the Fonts was to find out where they were located and to Preview them.

On the Font Book main page next to the word
'User' is the word 'Off'. And anything I Previewed with 'more info' was padlocked.

Hanna,
The Apple document was well worth reading all the way through and you were right about page 10.

I have System/Lib/fonts, MacHD/Lib/Fonts, and ~/Lib/Fonts on my computer...and I don't know how to access and use any of them.

Until I learn more about Fonts, I won't be taking any chances (per Jack's warning) unlocking padlocks or turning Fonts on/off.

I did try to change the Mail Message Font to Times Roman, but it didn't work.

Chuck,
I think what intrigued me about the 3 capital "I's" changing to plain vertical lines was how it happened. It seemed to be an automatic change that happened overnight Verdana is the only Font that has ever been used in the Mail message body as long as I've owned my computer.

Thanks for your book recommendations which I've already ordered. I need all the help I can get!

I've decided it's time for me to make a one-on-one appointment at the Apple Store so that Me and The Fonts can end up with Happy Days.

Cheers to all of you for all of your help and guidance.

Lois

Posts: 91 | Location: Royal Oak Michigan | Registered: June 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Hanna
posted Hide Post
>I have System/Lib/fonts
No need to touch those.

>MacHD/Lib/Fonts
Fonts in this folder are available to all applications including multiple users if you have multiple user accounts on your Mac

>~/Lib/Fonts
Any fonts here are only accessible by "you" when logged in and no other user - IF you have another user account set up

So essentially the rule is
1) leave system fonts alone - System/Lib/fonts
2) You only really need fonts in on of the other two. So, if you have Fonts in the MacHD/Lib/Fonts AND in the ~/Lib/Fonts, my personal opinion is to pick one or the other to store your fonts and not both.

My suggestion would be just integrate all the fonts in the MacHD/Lib/Fonts and make that the primary location.
But either one is fine - just pick one.

So at the end of the day your fonts are in only two places
1) System
2) MacHD/Lib/Fonts

so when you open Font Book it should show user off (may as well since nothing is in there) that's the ~/Lib/Fonts

"All Fonts" is showing all the fonts installed and in this case the "system" and the MacHd/Lib/Fonts

So now you can activate or turn off any fonts you want BUT there are some that Font Book won't let you and those are the essential system fonts.

Another tip is, when you have a font selected in Font Book, and you view the info CMND+I in the preview pane of Font Book you can see the path/location where that font is installed so that's another way to see if it's in the system folder.

Posts: 162 | Location: Northville, MI | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Hanna
posted Hide Post
One more thought is when you change the font in the Mail Preferences , try quit Mail app, and maybe even log out and then see if it sticks.
May as well go all the way with log out.