Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    This should be simple
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This should be simple
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Dave Finegold
posted
I see that some of the members have a picture of themselves (like Jack and terry) instead of a avatar icon. How would I change my icon to a picutre?

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Jedi Master Yoda

Posts: 252 | Location: Novi | Registered: March 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
First, you need to upload the picture to some web space you have - .Mac, Comcast, somewhere on the web. It needs to be 48 x 48 pixels or close to it.

Next use the "Go" button above the posts and go to "My Space/Profile".

To the right you'll see a link to View/Edit Profile. Click on that.

Scroll down until you get to the Avatar. Hit "Edit". When you get to the Avatars, click on "Custom Avatar". Put in the URL where your picture is located.

Be forewarned - this didn't used to work in Safari - it used to make it crash - but I just did it under 10.4.5. I know it never worked under 10.3 for me, and I haven't tried in a while, so if Safari crashes on you, you'll need to use another browser. I used FireFox last time to update.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Dave Finegold
posted Hide Post
Jack,
I have been trying that using Safari and everytime it crashed on me. I'll give it a try using firefox.

Posts: 252 | Location: Novi | Registered: March 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
AIM: Online Status For artpumpin
posted Hide Post
If you don't have webspace or hosting, try:

Imageshack Hosting

Free image hosting, gives you links for posting images in forums (like this) and even includes a dashboard widget if you are running Tiger.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Dave Finegold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.... worked great using firefox Big Grin