Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Mac Tutorials for a total novice online anywhere?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mac Tutorials for a total novice online anywhere?
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
My wife is about to join the wired world and I would like to be able to direct her to some easy to understand online or on computer tutorials. BTW she is an expert typist and familiar with the keyboard layout so the instruction doesn't need to start that far back. Thanks for any suggestions.

Posts: 58 | Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Great place to get started are the online video tutorials that are part of a .mac account.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2104 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Your question is somewhat vague. What is it that she's trying to learn? Regardless of subject matter, a good place to start would be Google. Just start looking for tutorials on the subjects you seek.

Personally - I'm one of those old fashioned types that likes the good old printed page. The best tutorials tend to be in books. Try there as well.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
This one looks promising, but is not up and running yet. Should be another 6 weeks or so. Sign up for the email list at:
http://www.macinstruct.com/

The other site that may have some simple beginning tutorials is:
http://www.atomiclearning.com/

Don't forget using Help on your Mac.

I know you said "online or on computer tutorials," but I would suggest the free "Getting Started" workshop at the Apple Store. The other thing to consider, is becoming a ProCare member. For $99 she can get a one on one class every week.

A friend of mine did this and became quite adept on a Mac in no time.

MacGroup meetings are also a great place to learn... the genius table may be just the ticket. Online... Oh yes, the iBBS.

BTW: There will be a new Apple Store on the East Side next year at Partridge Creek - Clinton Township, Michigan.

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
Perhaps one of the Terry White videos could be helpful.

Mac OS X Training For Windows Users DVD

Even though it's targeted for switchers, I am sure there is some valuable info to be gained here. Check the MacGroup website for more details

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1726 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Linda
posted Hide Post
For $99, ProCare with one-on-one lessons for a year might be the way to go.

She gets to learn all the basics of using her computer plus the subjects she is really interested in learning. We can even do hands-on work on her projects.

Of course she might go shopping when she's finished with her lessonSmile

Linda

If you’re not completely appalled, you’re not paying attention.

Posts: 602 | Location: Birmingham, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Great suggestions - Thanks Smile

Posts: 58 | Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI | Registered: October 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Hanna
posted Hide Post
If a good book with a DVD that actually shows how to use iLife with a website full of tips and the likes

http://www.macilife.com/

Jim Heid continues to write and publish one of the better (best to some) iLife tutorials and How To's.

http://www.hannafoto.com

"I'm only here for the cookies"

Posts: 162 | Location: Northville, MI | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Bob
I support Calvin and Jamie's suggestions of a Terry White DVD and Apple ProCare.

In March we moved from OS 9.2 to OS X 10.4. I never dreamed the differences would be so great! Simple things no longer were simple.

Yesterday I took a second trip through Terry's Mac OS X for Beginners and Hot Tips For Everyone DVD. This time I made two pages of notes on a Word file as I listened and watched, stopped and wrote and then listened and watched again. Now I can go to some of Terry's points in my Tiger Notebook where this print-out now lives.

Recently we were stuck on a .mac issue and went in for ProCare appointment. While there Linda Stein, a MacGroup member, who was our ProCare helper taught Judy and me some really useful stuff - simple, unless you do not know it. I am looking forward to more ProCare support. One of the things I like about it is I can go in with MY problem and get personal attention. So different from getting attention on help lines.

We did not take the intro Apple class, but if we were making the transition again, I think I wold do it. I hope your wife has a fun and easy trip into Mac World.
David

Posts: 84 | Registered: April 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I take my procare lesson every week.. what a great deal, although I hope it doesnt become too popular that I cant get my usual time slot!

Posts: 626 | Location: Farmington Hills, MI | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post