Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Filemaker 9
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Filemaker 9
 Login/Register

Padawan
posted
I input the date, store, amount, etc. of my Rx bills.
Having a GRAND TOTAL on the bottom would be helpful.

I want a new total as I FIND a separate year, month, store, etc. Would someone explain how to do this?
1. Field Name: GRAND TOTAL
2. Type: SUMMARY
3. Options: ??? then what see below
?? Runing Total
?? Restart summary for ea. sorted group
?? All together
?? Individually
I would also like to do a total for miles and then have it multiplied by $.09
It would be great if you could send me the steps in pictures,

Posts: 27 | Location: WARREN | Registered: November 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
I'm curious as to why you are using FileMaker instead of a spreadsheet like Excel or Numbers? A database strikes me as overkill for this purpose.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I had exactly the same reaction. This sounds like a job for a spreadsheet, not a database.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
In FileMaker 9 you'd have to go to Manage Data Base and create a new field and assign properties to it. FileMaker would do an awesome job but unless you can program in FileMaker you'd be better off using something like Excel or Numbers Like Phillis and Donna suggested.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
I have never used Excel and I have used FM since the 80's. Having 20+ yrs. of medical records is confusing enough w/o having to transfer and/or learn a new program. I can manage as it is but thought it would be easier if FM did the calculations automatically.
I probably have more than 100 FM files but do not use calculations.
Wish I had started with Excel!

Posts: 27 | Location: WARREN | Registered: November 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
It is just not as straight forward to do calculations in a database, not impossible. It's complicated.

Posts: 2264 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Filemaker, or any database, can calculate. You just have to know how to define the field types and how to set up the formulas.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Try this site for books on Filenmaker
http://www.AbeBooks.com/