Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    iPad 2 impulse buy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPad 2 impulse buy
 Login/Register

posted
If I am still an unbeliever and don't know what data plan or wifi option I should buy, can I buy the wifi iPad 2 then later add the Verizon or AT&T data plan to that unit?

I am still looking for work and don't think I can afford the monthly data plan and may just want WiFi but if I get a good job might want to upgrade. Does it work like that?

Thanks, Terry's best apps for iPad 2 got my attention. Anybody got warnings on all the accessories and conectors?

Posts: 16 | Location: in my car looking for a job in Macomb county | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
You cannot upgrade to 3G with a wifi only iPad unless you purchase a wifi+3G iPad.

2 different models = you need to choose upfront which carrier you want to use. Nice thing about the 3G version is you don't have to start 3G serviced until you are ready. I know someone who purchased the Verizon iPad because it was the only available model left. He plans to activate 3G only when he really needs it.

Hope this helps...

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for the clarification Dave.
Maybe I can change my order since it hasn't shipped yet. Yikes!

Posts: 16 | Location: in my car looking for a job in Macomb county | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
You big choice is whether you want the ATT one or the Verizon one, regardless of if you want 3G or WiFi. The Verizon one is CDMA and will NOT work on GSM networks like ATT. The ATT one is GSM and will NOT work on any CDMA networks like Verizon. From what I've read, the ATT GSM ones should work abroad, since they seem to be unlocked according to reports from those using the iPad2 in Europe. So if using abroad is a consideration for you that should be considered.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. My iPad finally came and I will use AT&T. Thank you Terry for the recommendation on first apps to download for living in a PC career world and to have fun too.
Does the gel back cover really stick on well?
I got a smart cover but want to protect the back side too with a clear skin to show my engraved name & Phone number. Was it Jelloskin?
Any more iPad2 advise on protecting it - does the smart cover really keep scratches away or do I need a clear skin over the screen too? Thank you so much for community feedback and sage advice.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Gelaskins come in clear, but worth a look.

You could always design one with your name on it. That's what I did.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
www.ZAGG.com InvisibleShield, I use them on all my devices. Follow them on twitter & Facebook, they're always giving out discount codes. MicroCenter & Best Buy are Authorized Resellers.

Posts: 2094 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post