Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    HP Printer won't with OSX 10.6.6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HP Printer won't with OSX 10.6.6
 Login/Register

posted
I have tried printer reset by taking out the power cord while printer on and then waiting before plugging back in...nothing but "awaiting printer to become available"

Then deleted all driver I could find and deleted printer and added it back in Print/Fax. From MacWord I was able to print but not from any PDF files. Then it started printing solid black grid.

Now the error message is
/usr/libexec/cups/filter/pstoraster failed.
Whatever that means?

Any suggestion on how to get this HP Photosmart 7550 all in one to work properly with Snow Leopard? Its been a faithful working before the upgrade but I don't know how to do any of this repair work.

I have a Gutenprint (gimp) driver for 10.4 in the print driver but I don't know if that is the best one for my situation.

Ideas appreciated...

Posts: 16 | Location: in my car looking for a job in Macomb county | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Have you tried printing from another user account?

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
HP's website shows they offer print drivers for your model in 10.6, did you try to download those before you attempted the GIMP drivers?

Seems the files are fairly large and HP warns you to be on high speed Internet. Give it a shot and let us know what happens.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Could you post where you found that file? When I looked Sunday (and again just now) I don't see any drivers listed past 10.4.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...product=3198308#N195

This is for the Pro series of the 7550 AIO it seems but you may want to try it.

Dave McGuire

Posts: 2115 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
That's an OfficeJet AIO printer; the one we're talking about is a Photosmart. I hate it when HP reuses the numbers for completely different printer models.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Then it would appear that this model printer has reached the end of it's usefulness. Guess that HP just doesn't care about updating drivers. May want to keep that in mind when purchasing the next printer Frown

Dave McGuire

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's why I tend to steer clear of HP myself. I got burned on an AIO that was still being made and sold that they wouldn't update drivers for Leopard.

===

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the feedback.

Sorry, I've given up and I now ask for some recommendations on buying a new printer and not a HP! What are the printer brands that will stay current with upgrades from Apple? I need an all-in-one for home office use, printing resumes, some home photos and scanning copies...nothing fancy.

I hate throwing away equipment that's not broken. What do I do with the HP photosmart 7550 and the HP scanner 2170?

Posts: 16 | Location: in my car looking for a job in Macomb county | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Laura Roth
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Hi Lissette,

I use an Epson R200 printer that my Mac updates when new info for it comes out.

Why not try selling your printers on the. forum...

Laura

Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Okay gurus I still need help. I bought an Epson 630 all-in-one printerfaxscanner and it works with Mac Word/Excel/etc but not with Adobe PDF reader. I get this error message....

/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpll.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpll failed

I have tried to delete the printer then add it again in the Printers/Fax system preferences...what else do I need to try?

I already deleted / uninstalled all the old HP Photosmart 7550 drivers and accessory HP apps. Is there a curse on my laptop or is Adobe Reader not working with my 10.6.6 SnowLeopard?

Suggestions welcomed...printing was never such an issue before and this new printer was expensive for my unemployed budget...help please.

Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
If it's working with everything but PDF Reader, try updating or installing a clean version of Reader. May be a corrupt setting. Additionally, you can open and print PDFs with Apple's own Preview app. I use Preview to open and resave password protected PDFs to get rid of the password requirement.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3773 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Error: /Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter2/Filter/rastertoescpll.app/Contents/MacOS/rastertoescpll failed

Uninstalled Adobe Reader and downloaded a fresh copy still have this error message above.

There must be some other settings or other solution available.
Thanks Phyllis, but I still need a fix to print PDFs