Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Training Class for Senior Citizen
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Training Class for Senior Citizen
 Login/Register

posted
I am trying to locate a computer training class for senior citizens that uses Macs. My mother has very little experience with computers but wants to learn. I have given her an old iBook and would like to find a class where she could start with the most basic of computer skills. Any suggestions?

Posts: 12 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Washtenaw Community College offers (in their Lifelong Learning catalog) a class called Computer Basics: Mac and iMac. I taught that course for many years until December 2003. The fee is $59, unless the person is a Washtenaw county resident age 65 or older, in which case it is free, I think. The next session is January 24 and 20, 4-hours each day. If WCC is not convenient, there might be something similar available at a community college closer.
http://www.wccnet.edu/lifelong...omputers-technology/

Also, you might consider getting her a One-on-One training membership at the Apple Store, which costs about $99 for a whole year. I've heard VERY good reports about their experience with this training from several seniors (at least at the Ann Arbor store.)

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 12 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately one-on-one is only available to people who purchase a new computer either online of at the store - per their web site. It is renewable however for two years as I recall. I think this is a bad decision on Apple's part but I'm sure they have their reasons.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Laura Roth
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
hmm I sure wished I lived closer...I'd be happy to show her.

I teach computer classes here where I Work and even though my library doesn't use Macs (much to my sadness, but oh well), I've taught several people through COmputer basic classes and Basic Internet classes.

Laura

Posts: 120 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post