Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Mobile Me
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobile Me
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted
I'm slowly getting to understand how the "Cloud" "Mobile Me" thingee works. If you originate an event on the web on Mobile Me Calendar, you can edit it or change it on the web. If you originate an event on your iPhone or computer calendar, you can't edit it on the web. Am I correct so far?? (to be continued I'm sure)

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
No, it is completely reciprocal. But it seems to take about 15 minutes for something you change to come down to your computer. Obviously, the computer has to be on and set to sync. But, if it is not on, then it will sync the next time it can. I made changes to my calendar using the web interface and it came down to all 3 of my computers within 15 minutes. It will get to your iPhone or Touch also. They all send their data up to the cloud (MobileMe alias .mac) and the cloud sends it down. It syncs calendars, contacts at least. I know it syncs Safari Bookmarks between all my computers. I don't think it can do other iDisk data and folders. I only ask mine to sync those 3, but I think those are the only ones you can sync completely. I seem to remember reading that.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Donna- I think I didn't explain myself properly. So here goes again: If, I enter an event in the calendar on my iPhone or in iCal on my laptop and it does sync with Mobile Me, and then maybe the next day when I know the sync has happened I launch mobile me and try to edit a calendar event, I can't do it. If I'd originated the event on Mobile me I can change it - no problem.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Are you saying you cannot edit the event using the web interface for your calendar event, i.e. you logged in to your account online using a browser? Did you try double clicking on the even? Then wait about 10-15 seconds. You will get a dialog box where you can edit the event.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I am saying Donna, and here's what Apple says:

The protocol puts what's on the cloud (server) in charge. It lets you access your account and work with it locally from a variety of places via different applications. But it insists that the master copy be kept on the server and that all changes be recorded there, so that each new log-in produces the inbox and folder contents you expect to see. In the other standard messaging protocol, POP, the local copy is primary, and when you access your mail it is generally removed from the server after being copied down to your local inbox. If you access your messages from more than one place, life can get confusing--a message you want to read on the road might have already been downloaded to a different computer or a filing change you make at work won't be reflected back at home.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is IMAP and not POP. That means, unless you delete something from the server (in this case that would be Mail messages) it will stay there no matter how many computers you have used to read that message and even bring it down to that computer. I thought you were talking about your calendars and contacts. They behave as I described. The master is up in the cloud, but that does not mean that that is the ONLY place where you can make changes to it.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Donna- I'm still struggling over here. If you have the time try this:

On a local device, computer, iPhone or iPod enter a test event in the calendar or iCal, let's say Birthday on 12/1/08 and a time of 8:00AM and then allow enough time for synchronization with Mobile Me to take place. Now go to Mobile Me and try to edit this test event on Mobile Me. You got to get this old hillbilly straightened out sooner or later Smile

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
7:10 pm entered Test Event into my iCal app on my main calendar. This event is scheduled to 8 pm tonight. My iCal app immediately synced. I am connected to the internet and that calendar is set to "auto publish after each change." My sync is still going on (the wheel in turning up in the menu bar.) On my computer in my System Prefs, .Mac sync is set to synchronize automatically. All 3 of my computers are set that way. Syncing has now finished.
7:15 opened a new tab in Safari and went to mac.com, which now takes you to mobileme. At this point my system pref on my computer says last sync was at 7:13 pm, as does my menu item on that computer. On the calendar in my www.me.com calendar, the event is up there.
This works. What is your problem? Why do you think this does not work? Are you connected to the internet? Are your syncing prefs set as mine are, i.e. "sync automatically" and "auto-publish after each change?"
7:22 double clicked on the entry and changed the entry on mobileme to read "test event edited"
I expect this should take 15 minutes to get down to my computer (or whenever it next syncs.) I am not going to force this by going up to the menu and telling it to sync now. But I could do that. I am going to wait.
7:24 my computer just started to sync by itself. It now shows last sync 7:24. But the entry in iCal on my computer still reads "test event."
8:14 my computer just synced. I'm not sure if it did this by itself (it had gone to sleep and I woke it up) or if I somehow triggered the sync by checking the sync menu and perhaps mousing over the sync now option. However, NOW the event is synced. So, obviously, it is not push. The computer(s) must sync to pick up the change, just as the computer must sync to send the change up to the cloud. The sync may not happen automatically. My guess is that it would sync if you shut it down and started back up, or restarted, and it may sync if it sleeps and wakes up (but I'm not sure about the last.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
George,

Going back to your original post - I believe you are correct. If you didn't enter an event on the web site, you can't edit it there, just move it around.

I never enter anything on the web site (I just tried one to test). I always use my iPhone or iCal. I have found the MobileMe web calendar to be flakey in the past and really have no use for it. It does seem to sync well now though (at least for me) so it is very useful for keeping all my systems in sync.

POP/IMAP have nothing to do with anything but *mail* messages - nothing to do with calendar items.

Donna,

What George is saying is that he can't *edit* events on the web if they were entered in iCal, and he can't edit in iCal if the event came from the web. The events all are syncing fine, but they can only be edited either where they originated (although I can edit events on my iPhone created on my Mac and vica versa). He's not saying they aren't syncing up.

I haven't tried creating on the web, syncing, and then editing in iCal - I have no use for entering via the web since I always have my iPhone handy.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
My settings are just like yours Donna, and everything works like your but try this:

quote:
Now go to Mobile Me and try to edit this test event on Mobile Me.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Now I just deleted an event up on mobile me calendar. To do that, I selected the event (actually my test event edited), then I went up to the drop-down gear and selected Delete. The event disappeared. However, it still appears on my computer, since there has been no sync. I am now going to force the computer to sync, by selecting Sync Now from the menu. Prior sync was at 8:14 pm. It is now syncing. It now says Last Sync 8:25. The event is still on my computer. I forced a sync again. Same thing. Then I did a refresh all in iCal on the computer, but the event is still there. Interesting. The edit in the browser came through, but the delete did not. Actually, the event is now back up on the mobileme calendar. I think the forced sync put it back up there.
So now, I deleted it again. Now I will try a refresh from the computer. The event is still there. Perhaps this is a bug.

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
update 8:44 the computer just synced again and now the item is deleted. So it did push the change down, but it took about an hour.
So here is what I did:
Created event on iCal on the computer.
It synced up to mobile me.
Edited the event on mobile me (changed its name)
It synced down to the computer
Delected the event up on mobileme. Did not seem to deleted on the computer
However, eventually it did delete.
So it seems it is not instantaneous but it DOES happen.
Running 10.3.11 on a PB G4, iCal 2.0.5.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
Thanks Donna, I'll be calling Apple tomorrow and I'll report my findings back here on this thread.