Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Email replies question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Email replies question
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
This seems like a beginner question:

When a group email comes with all the addresses in the "To" field, not in CC or BCC fields, what happens if you reply or forward it? Does a reply go to everyone? Does a forward include all the group email addresses?

Silly question, but I'm on a list of 85 or so people (- a legitimate local group), and the sender always includes the whole group in "To."

I've sent a few smaller group emails. I set up the group in Address Book, enter the group in Mail, then delete from To & enter them all in BCC, with just one in the "To." (AOL won't send the email unless there's at least one in "To".)

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,
A 'Reply" will only go back to the Sender.
A "Reply All" will go to everyone in the To field
A "Forward" will go only to whom you forward it to.

Posts: 1617 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've sent a few smaller group emails. I set up the group in Address Book, enter the group in Mail, then delete from To & enter them all in BCC, with just one in the "To." (AOL won't send the email unless there's at least one in "To".)

When you create a new message, just start entering the group name in the Bcc: field - autocomplete will find it for you. Then drag your name to the To: field. No need to enter and delete.

If you don't want to advertise the list of email addresses, always put the group in the Bcc: field. Recipients then see only their own address.

Hint: The above works with Mail > Preferences > Composing set for

autocomplete and show all

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
The sender makes a common and very annoying mistake, and poor "netiquette" practice.
By including all members of a list in a "To" or a "CC" field, their names and email addresses are exposed to all. I was on a political candidate's information list a while back whose writer had a huge "cc" field. I saw a number of list recipients who I'm sure would not have given their addresses out quite so publicly, or to strangers. I sent a courteous message to the list author, and soon afterwards mailings had a group 'TO' name with everyone BCC'd.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Chuck - I agree 100%. That's why I posed the question. I also get emails directed to a fairly small group of a dozen or so on a Board where I serve. A few times someone else on the Board directed a reply to the sender (mentioned by name in the reply), but I (and probably everyone else) also received the reply.

- Wanted to avoid that kind of nuisance.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
P.S. - Thanks also Chita & Jim. Very helpful.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, timely, today, I came across a person who reacted
very negatively when for the second time, I asked them about this very thing.
They are frequently sending out emails to 83 people, with all addresses visible,
including mine. Unsolicited material at that.

I was reprimanded for giving out 'unsolicited advice' on how she handles
her email distribution lists. Some people....

Poobah
posted Hide Post
Chita - None of my business, but it seems the person who complained to you has already "solicited" YOU by sending uninvited emails and should be responsive to your position.

- Just my 2 bits. All kinds of folks out there. Don't let them get to you.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
Mary Jo,
My sentiments exactly.
But her tendency was to see only what she wanted.
My unsolicited advice was simply that she might use BCC instead
of the To field. Maybe when I and the other 82 people received a message
meant for her, she got a little closer to the point I was trying to get across.