Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Photo Montage?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Photo Montage?
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
My nephew wants to make a giant (wall-sized) poster from a photo. He wants to do this using a series of 8.5x11 sheets, because his printer can't handle large sizes. I don't know if he has Photoshop or not. He says that there's a Windows app that allows you to make a large poster out of a series of letter-sized sheets. Is there a Mac equivalent?

He has my old G4, and is running 10.4.8.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Something to think about if you are thinking real wall size, i.e. 8 feet tall:
You would need a very high resolution photo to start with, because you would have to print little sections of it on each 8x10 sheet. If you Google photo wall mural, there are professional firms that do this. He might want to crop out a suitable section equivalent to 8x10 and try printing just that one to see how it looks. It might be very blurry.

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Hanna
posted Hide Post
http://homepage.mac.com/knarf/MacOSaiX/

something like this?

http://www.hannafoto.com

"I'm only here for the cookies"

Posts: 162 | Location: Northville, MI | Registered: April 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
No. I have used this. What this one does is take a set of photos you specify and use those photos miniaturized to construct the color hues you need to produce a mosaic of the picture you submit. So, in the example, the submitted picture is the one of the lion. It then takes whatever set you specify and, figuring out the general hue of the individual pictures, uses them to make "Mosaic tiles" to prodeuce the lion picture. I've used it. It is VERY slow, but it does work, doing what it is designed to do.

What this person wants to do is use an original picture and then get that one picture big enough to be wall size, using 8x10 prints of 8x10 portions of the original (blown up).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Posts: 2284 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
Check out The Rasterbator (works best in Firefox)

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
The exe file opens in SWF and FLV Player, but I do not see how you could use this on a Mac.

Poobah
Picture of Bibo (Jim Nichols)
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
The exe file opens in SWF and FLV Player, but I do not see how you could use this on a Mac.

You can Rasterbate online (snicker)
http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/wizard.gas?Phase=1 Upload your image and it does the work for you, no need to download any application.

Posts: 2095 | Location: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Have you used this program (Rasturbator) yourself successfully? It looks as if it makes huge pix that look like they are made out of big dots. I'm not sure that is what this person is looking for.

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
I Would enlarge the image to however big you needed it using Genuine Fractals I think there is a demo you could try before you buy-and then bring it into a layout program like Quark Express (not sure if Indesign has that feature) and then tile it. Hope this helps.

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Genuine Fractals has been around a long time and is reported to be an excellent program. If there is a demo available for one-time use, that would be really useful for this project as the program is pretty expensive as I recall.

Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Genuine Fractals has been around a long time and is reported to be an excellent program. If there is a demo available for one-time use, that would be really useful for this project as the program is pretty expensive as I recall.

Expanding on artphanto's remarks, Genuine Fractals 5 is sold by onOne software. A free demo, good for 30 days, is available. I tried it out last year to do some photo uprezzing and it was great. The demo had no watermarks or restricted saves. Price from onOne is 159.95. Don't know if better deals are available elsewhere, but if it's the tool you need, give it a go.
Also, Some printers have built-in capabilities in their software to do tiling and poster printing on standard-size sheets. An Epson all-in-one I used last year (Model 820 maybe) offered it but I don't recall how large a poster size it would make tiles for.

Posts: 1103 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keith:
He says that there's a Windows app that allows you to make a large poster out of a series of letter-sized sheets. Is there a Mac equivalent?

Can you tell us the name of the Windows program that supposedly does this? That might give us a better clue as to what he wants to do conpared to what is out there for the Mac. How big a poster does he eventually want? And what is the pixel resolution of the initial photo?

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
My nephew found PosterRazor which is free and which he put to good use.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post