Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    iPod Touch Software Upgrade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPod Touch Software Upgrade
 Login/Register

Picture of Chad Pennycuff
Jabber does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted
Ok I bought my Mac on the education plan. They threw in a free iPod touch with rebate.

iTunes wants to update the software to 3.x. Ok - then there is a $10 charge to upgrade a piece of hardware they just sold the same day without outdated software. What gives with that?

Charge me cause I bought your outdated software. Any chance I can argue for refund on that?

That par for the course with Apple?

Beat Debt. Build Wealth!

Chad Pennycuff
Penny Coach, LLC

Blog & Web: PennyCoach.com
Voice: 734-956-8903
Fax: 866-533-0387

Posts: 6 | Location: Northville, Michigan | Registered: July 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
You want a refund on something you got for free? Heck, I'll give you $5 for it, that's a $5 profit!

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I'll take it. I'll even come to your house to pick it up. No problem. Of course, you could take it in to an Apple Store and talk to a Genius and see if they can do anything for you. The Version 3 software is quite new. What are the terms of your "free" item. As is, with whatever version software it has? Maybe.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donna:
Of course, you could take it in to an Apple Store and talk to a Genius and see if they can do anything for you.

The Apple store will tell you to purchase the 3.0 software IF you want this upgrade. The reason you would have to pay for this upgrade is due to this law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes-Oxley_Act

The exact same thing happened to iPod Touch users when the 2.0 software came out. If someone doesn't see the value in this software, then don't buy it.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2106 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I have purchased the 3.0 software, and I find it WELL worth the $10. However, it is surprising that it does not come on current models sold now. Do all iPod Touch devices only come with the version 2 software even if you bought a new one today? How about the iPhone? Do those come with version 2 and then version 3 gets installed as part of the activation process? I know the legalities regarding the software upgrades' being gratis on the phone, but of course those owners are paying and paying for 2 years, while I get the same features for merely a one-time fee of $10. That's a bargain in
my book.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Depends on how long something has been on the shelf. The iPhones 3GS started with v3 already on it, and doesn't stay in stock long anyway. The Touch might be on shelves longer.

Remember this was part of a "giveaway" bundle (free after rebate), which might be specifically to clear out overstocked iPod Touches.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chad Pennycuff
Jabber does not support status - click here for the profile.
posted Hide Post
Still seems like a cheap practice to me and Apple lost some points with me on this one. Here's why: Garmin (which is also a publicly traded company and subject to SOX laws and is a brand I would put on par with Apple) offers a free upgrade on their software AND their 3rd party maps if you bought the unit within 90 days prior to the new release. You can get this free upgrade on closeouts, last years model, etc. Its not like I didn't write a $2900 check to Apple on this purchase.... Which is a good $2700 more than I spent on the Garmin that gave away the $79 map upgrade for FREE.

But based upon your responses. I conclude, yes - this is typical policy from Apple. Mental note for next summer's purchase. Will also make a mental note to post in the forums and see if anybody wants a deal on the free iPod if they repeat this like they did last year.

On a similar note, I do appreciate the way snow leopard was presented. Buy now, and for $10 we'll upgrade you when it comes out. Ok - there is a cost of delivery on the DVD. I can see why they don't have the full OS on iTunes download where delivery cost is next to nothing for smaller downloads. That was upfront and explained in advance. I get that. I appreciate that.

Thanks

Chad

Beat Debt. Build Wealth!

Chad Pennycuff
Penny Coach, LLC

Blog & Web: PennyCoach.com
Voice: 734-956-8903
Fax: 866-533-0387

Posts: 6 | Location: Northville, Michigan | Registered: July 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
AIM: Online Status For terrywhite at mac dot com
posted Hide Post
What you're running into is TWO different accounting practices for revenue recognition.

iPhone revenue is recognized over time and therefore Apple can offer all the free updates they want! Even if you bought an iPhone 3G that still had 2.x on it, you can upgrade to 3.0 for free once you connect it to iTunes.

However, iPod revenue is recognized at the point of purchase. So in order for Apple to offer a software update that ADDs functionality, they are required to charge something for that upgrade. Otherwise they would have to restate revenue and earnings for the quarter (trust me, no company wants to do this).

As far as "current" iPod touches having 2.x on them, it's also a costly process to pull ALL of the existing iPods from ALL the vendors off the shelf and upgrade them and then redistribute them.

So if you want 3.0 without having to pay for it, then you have to WAIT until the 2.x supply is sold out and new ones are shipped with 3.0 on them. Otherwise, you keep it at 2.x or you buy 3.0.

Considering that your iPod touch was a freebie, there's not much Apple can do in this case. You could always sell it and still be ahead.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post