Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Missing Letters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing Letters
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
I'm taking a course in Arabic, and I've impressed my teacher by typing the assignments out. This of course, leaves all the Windows users amazed, but it's easy on a Mac if you leave the Keyboard Viewer window open. Those who know anything about written Arabic know that each letter of the alphabet takes three forms: one is used when the letter appears at the beginning of the word, another when it's in the middle of the word, and a third (often resembling the first) when the letter ends a word.

The astounding thing is that there is no need to shift to get these different forms. They appear automatically as you type. The shift key provides access to the diacritical marks which are used to indicate a vowel sound.

Unfortunately there are two letters I can't seem to find. One is "Ha" when it takes the form of a circle (I've been using the numeral o instead), and the other is "Ta" when it takes the form of a small circle with an umlaut over it. They don't appear in the Keyboard Viewer, and no keyboard combination (Option, Option+Shift, &c.) will produce them.

I'm using the first Arabic listed in Language and Text (the others are Arabic PC and Arabic QWERTY). Can anyone tell me how to get these elusive letters?

When I'm through typing my lesson, I close the Keyboard Viewer and switch the Input Menu back to USA, but an odd thing later happens. When I download something, something completely unrelated such as a software update, the Keyboard Viewer often appears along with the alert "This Is Something You Downloaded Off the Internet. Are you sure you want to open it?"

Not a big problem but an annoyance. How do I stop the Keyboard Viewer from appearing unbidden?

Out of curiosity to see if it will be reproduced when this message is posted, here in advance is "thanks" in Arabic:
شُكراً.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
Needles to say, I found the missing forms of the letters. They were right there all along, only instead of a circle, the marboota form of taa looks more like the Hebrew letter [i]samkeh.[i/]

It never fails to delight me that when a special form of the letter appears, my Mac automatically knows to use it, and it magically appears.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post