Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    MiniTab for Mac? Need Windows partition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MiniTab for Mac? Need Windows partition
 Login/Register

posted
I am taking a Black Belt Six sigma class that uses MiniTab statistical program. Unfortunately it doesn't come in a OS X version. How can I run it with my MacBook Pro running snow leopard? Instructor says others in past with Macs were ok running it
I think they did the HD partition thing...how hard is that to do? How much memory would I need to reserve for that crappy windows to run Minitab?

Posts: 16 | Location: in my car looking for a job in Macomb county | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
The easiest way (in my opinion) to run Windows on your Mac is with Parallels and a copy of XP Pro. You do not need to mess with your Mac's Hard Drive just install Parallels and then Windows. It works fine. You do not need to reserve RAM for Minitab under "That Crappy Windows".

You will need to purchase Parallels and Windows though. Best price I have found for Parallels is OWC.

And here is a reasonably priced place to purchase Windows XP, link.

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much Brian. I will look into the software and see if there are any concerns because my MacBook Pro is an old 2006 with an updated Harddrive but original processor/RAM. I hope it doesn't screw up my files. I have not being using accounts to sign on - its only me that uses this machine. More questions to follow I am sure. Gracias!

Posts: 16 | Location: in my car looking for a job in Macomb county | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I have found that Parallels Desktop for Mac is very robust, but infrequently can have problems if the total system RAM is less than 3 GB.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I run Windows 7 Ultimate under VMware and BOOTCAMP. I have only run into one slight problem. I have also installed Ubuntu and both run like champs (even at the same time). I have a current Mac Mini but I also have 8 GBs of RAM.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paul,

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have lots of hard drive space 300GB but only have 2GB RAM. So I am very worried about new installations like Boot Camp and/or Parallels before Windows

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.2f10

If I go to the kids at the Genius bar, would they back me up with the installation help to ensure I don't blow anything away or do I risk it...maybe a W7 laptop at $700 is a better solution than messing with my baby Mac?

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
If your RAM is limited, then BOOTCAMP may be the way to go. You can boot straight into Windows without worrying about sharing RAM with OS X. Windows XP will run just fine with 2 GBs of RAM, and even Windows 7 should run OK.

In my WIndows 7 class, we are running Windows 7 plus another copy of Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine. Sometimes we even boot up a third VM running Server 2008. Yes, it's a little painful, but it runs just fine.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Parallels works fine in a 2GB machine as long as you don't try to do too many things at once. That is, don't use Photoshop to edit a large picture at the same time you run Windows in Parallels desktop. And, don't run more than one large program in windows at the same time.

You can look at Activity Monitor to show System Memory usage. All Red and Yellow and no Green or Blue means you are probably doing too much for the memory you have. This is probably the best indicator to watch.

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay thanks. so I can simply buy online copies of boot camp and windows 7 to install on my MacBook without the geniuses? I'll try this weekend. I was worried about protecting the existing content. Am I going to need to use the Mac utilities?

iBBS Addict
posted Hide Post
Lisetta:

Please Read and understand the attached Apple Boot Camp manual before you jump into this project.

Boot Camp is free as part of Mac OS X, but you will need to purchase whatever version of Windows you decide on having.

You need to BACKUP your machine with Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper before you start this project. And you should have TWO complete backups on two different backup drives before setting up Boot Camp.

Using Parallels rather than Boot Camp means that you do not need to repartition your drive and can just jump right in and install it then install Windows. Yes you should have TWO clone backups before installing Parallels and Windows.

I am currently running Mac OSX 10.6.7 on my 4 year old MacBook Pro with Parallels, Windows XP Pro and MS Office. All is working fine. You will find some useful information here Boot Camp.

If you want to discuss this project you can call me at 248-546-9339 any time after 9:00 AM and before 7:00 PM.

Brian Stone

PDF DocBoot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf (290 Kb, 596 downloads)

Posts: 1656 | Location: Oak Park, MI, USA | Registered: January 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Muchas Gracias! I will call you later after the LSS class is over about 4pm. THank YOu!