Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Beginners SIG    Special Persimmons
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Special Persimmons
 Login/Register

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted
After updating to O/S 10.4.3, I naturally ran Disk Utility to repair the permissions. I was surprised to see a long list --28 of 'em-- that said "We are using special permissions for the file directory . . ." Most had to do with Widgets, including Widgets I don't have installed in the Dashboard.

After running Disk Utility 6 times since installing 10.4.3, I still get the same list of 28 special permission repairs. Is this the new normal?

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
Yes. The "special permissions" list has been expanded, as you saw. The system always reports these, as they are, well, special, even if it's not changing anything. You can ignore them.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Chuck Reti
posted Hide Post
From Macintouch, IMHO the very best Mac info site, this item posted today (11/3):
quote:
A number of people have reported seeing the message: "We are using special permissions for the file or directory ./Library/Widgets/Dictionary.wdgt/Dictionary.js. New permissions are 33188"
I believe this is a bug where Disk Utility forgets to mask off some bits that are returned by the system call that lists permissions, but can't be set by the system call that sets permissions. That fools it into thinking it needs to change them when it doesn't. This will be the case whenever the "new permissions" number is really large.
It's not a new bug, BTW. It must just be correcting more directories.

When "special permissions" reports have appeared for other directories, Apple support says they're simply status messages and don't indicate a problem and to ignore them.

Posts: 1098 | Location: Detroit | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Keith
posted Hide Post
I am once again freaked at seeing the results of Repair Permissions in Disk Utility:

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

All this looks rather ominous, and I'm worried. Should I be?

If I verify the HD volume, it says it appears to be O.K.

Posts: 668 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: October 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
The first thing to ask yourself is "what's not working"? Because this issue with scary-looking but useless warnings keeps coming up with Permissions Repair.

This is another such case, as documented here.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I like persimmons!! They're yummy! Razz

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post