Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    Using Illustrator, ImageReady & DreamWeaver to make webpages
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Using Illustrator, ImageReady & DreamWeaver to make webpages
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted
I am using the above listed Adobe programs plus Flash to make this latest web page. http://www.kirktalon.com/andy2/

The process was Illustrator to ImageReady to DreamWeaver and bring in Flash to get the animated portion.

If anyone else here is using ImageReady to start out their web pages I would like to compare notes with you?

I'm finding the "slices" ImageReady creates need to be handled carefully in DreamWeaver. Also it is best to know exactly what you want in ImageReady and Flash when creating links cause they are less or impossible to change in DreamWeaver.

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
Picture of joecoots
posted Hide Post
I learned that method at Macomb Community College in their Dreamweaver class and have used it several times for websites.
The idea is to use Image Ready to optimize the art to the smallest size based on content and appearance then to send it to Dreamweaver where the buttons are wired up and Flash or other things are added into the final page.
Yes the slices sometimes shift a bit in the frame so I try to be somewhat careful in how much I move things without adding additional cells/rows.
What versions of the software are you using Kirk?

Posts: 56 | Location: St Clair Shores, MI, USA | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
I'm using Dreamweaver and Flash MX 2004 and the Adobe Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, are the CS level.

I would say my experiences are the same.

In Flash I have not gone too deep with it like building more than something that would be part of a larger site. It looks like I would have to have all the links destinations beforehand before publishing it as a swf file. Got some more to learn.

Here is a site that was built using just CSS to get the rollover effects. I've tried to download the website using Firefox but it is not capturing everything I'm guessing cause I can't make it look like it does online when I play with it in Dreamweaver. http://southern-cleaners.co.uk/

Lots of ways to make web pages.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kirk Tirakian,

I'm never "lost" cause I always know where "I" am. I just may not know where anything else is or how to get there.

Posts: 405 | Location: Roseville, Michigan | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
Picture of joecoots
posted Hide Post
Yes, tons of code out there and several ways to do just about anything. There are lots of very cool cutting-edge sites out there that do very interesting things.
Those are the same versions I have (at least until I win something newer from Terry or break the piggy and buy it) I use an exchange manager widget from Lynda.com to move the files into Dreamweaver and it helps on the code issues between the Adobe cs and macromedia languages. MAybe something like that would help you. Its from the Dreamweaver H.O.T. book. Very reasonable to get used at Amazon.

Posts: 56 | Location: St Clair Shores, MI, USA | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Coots:
Yes, tons of code out there and several ways to do just about anything. There are lots of very cool cutting-edge sites out there that do very interesting things.
Those are the same versions I have (at least until I win something newer from Terry or break the piggy and buy it) I use an exchange manager widget from Lynda.com to move the files into Dreamweaver and it helps on the code issues between the Adobe cs and macromedia languages. MAybe something like that would help you. Its from the Dreamweaver H.O.T. book. Very reasonable to get used at Amazon.

Hmm . . . . I've been using a mix of Lynda's online tutorials and books as well as others.

I might go to the books exclusively as I find that I am not using the online trainings as much as I could. I am doing the $25 a month plan which does not give me access to the exact files they are using in the lessons anyway.
(Nor apparently an exchange manager widget) So for as long as I have been doing that plan I could have bought several books, done things at my pace, and had the same files as the lesson(s).

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
I think Adobe is getting rid of ImageReady. It may be a good idea to start thinking about a replacement.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
No need to "think" about it, ImageReady was discontinued with CS3 as most of its functionality was moved into Photoshop CS3 as customer had been asking for all along.

Here is the ImageReady Feature Location Guide for PS CS3

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:
I think Adobe is getting rid of ImageReady. It may be a good idea to start thinking about a replacement.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Kirk Tirakian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:
No need to "think" about it, ImageReady was discontinued with CS3 as most of its functionality was moved into Photoshop CS3 as customer had been asking for all along.

Here is the ImageReady Feature Location Guide for PS CS3

quote:
Originally posted by Paul:

I knew Adobe wouldn't get rid of a good thing.

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I miss ImageReady. Though much of ImageReady was incorporated into Photoshop CS3, some of the key items are missing. There isn't a Slice Palette. The Slice Palette in ImageReady allowed grouping slices into Slice Sets. It was possible to create a Slice Set for DIV slices. In fact, in Photoshop's Save for Web, there is no option to save DIV slices.

Luckily, if I still need ImageReady, I still have the CS suite of software, loaded on a separate partition which boots into Panther.

Hopefully, Adobe brings some of the great features of ImageReady into Photoshop's next release.

Adobe does seem to get rid of the good, at times. Personally, I much preferred LiveMotion over Flash. I'm sure there were reasons why Adobe made their decision to go with Flash. But, I wish they would bring some of LiveMotion's ease of use into Flash.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post