Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    Need Help Creating .Mac webpage
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Help Creating .Mac webpage
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted
Could someone tell me what's wrong with this hand-coded HTML code?

I create HTML files for upload to "My Pages" in my .Mac account, but I cannot get the referenced webpage to display. Only HTML text is displayed when I go to this .Mac webpage.

I want the gif image to appear - not HTML code.

Thanks for your help.

<html>
<head>
<title>LOGO</title>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

Posts: 2075 | Registered: June 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I can't tell what you want us to look at from this. The URL would be a big help.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
Not only that, the image appears in the BBS posting!

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Which is why we need a link to what doesn't work - posting it here doesn't tell us anything.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Click on this to go to my prototype, first ever, website, that is supposed to be a simple test to see if I can hand code HTML: LOGO

I have no idea why you're seeing the GIF that you're seeing in the code above. The GIF is supposed to be the image below.

I did clear my Safari cache, but a lot of erroneous stuff appears to be clinging to my computer, or Apple's computers.

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
How about attaching the actual HTML file here instead of pasting the code in your reply. The iBBS is probably trying to render parts of the code.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Viewing the source, you have 3 < html> tags at the top. Lose 2 of them.

Many of your < and > brackets have been replaced by & lt; and & gt; (I have had to add a space so they don't turn into brackets here) so they will show on a page and not be real HTML - including around the IMG tag and all the other HTML we see on the page. in fact, it looks as though the HTML was purposely laid out for us to see.

Also, the anchor tag should just be the IMG tag. If you want the image to link somewhere else, then you'd put an anchor tag in around the IMG tag.

This looks seriously foobared. How was this code created?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===

Zip/GZ archivetest.html.zip (1 Kb, 52 downloads) Corrected version of web page

iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
To simplify Jack's comments -- you tried to put an html code block within the body of an already created page body block (see the label displayed at the top). The tools you used caused literal quotation of your code as text.

Yeah, I'm fascinated. However did you do this?

Posts: 1979 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Thanks for helping. I'll try to answer all your questions.

This is a hand-coded HTML code. I'm not using any tools, except TextEdit and Word. I tried to use MS Word v.X to make an HTML file, which as far I can determine, just appends the .html suffix to the text.

I don't want to buy any tools now, and I want to learn HTML code. eBay got me interested in HTML code last month.

I did cut-and-paste some code from a couple websites & books. I didn't use an anchor tag before the IMG SRC= tag - should I?

Do I need to delete the <HTML> block? All books use it. Is the <HTML> block automatically inserted when I publish the HTML file?

The file created with TextEdit is attached below.

LOGO.rtf (611 Bytes, 303 downloads)

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
The file created with MS Word v.X is attached below. This my current file published at .Mac.

LOGO.html (1 Kb, 372 downloads)

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
First - stop using Word! It has to be one of the absolutly worst programs for HTML.

If you want to learn the code, stick with TextEdit in PLAIN TEXT mode only, or better yet, get the free editor TextWrangler. It will do syntax highlighting for you, which will help with the code. Do your previews by dragging the file name from TextWrangler (after saving) to Safari or another browser.

The other tools you are using are interpreting things for you, that's why you're having so much trouble. And Word is generating all sorts of crap behind the scenes - you can't do hand-coding in Word. It wants to "help". To make web pages with Word, you make a Word document and export as HTML. It will try and make your Word doc into HTML, but you can't use it to code raw HTML.

You need ONE set of < html> </ html> tags. Word and possibly TextEdit gave you extras. And one of them (probably Word) changed your hand-code so it would display as code on a web page.

As for the anchor tag - there was one there that I whacked. You really need to look at the code with a real text editor if you are going to understand it. Don't rely on what Word and TextEdit (when not in plain text mode) are showing you.

Did you download the corrected page I made (above)? I see the download count is only 1, and I did one to make sure it was OK. Take my file in TextEdit (or better yet, TextWrangler) and compare it to your file to see all the crap I cut out and how I fixed it.

===

Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
That's a pretty good explanation Jack. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I was wondering how good Word and TextEdit are.

I have now looked over your zip file code and have a question: there is extra, unnecessary code that a webtool composed - CORRECT?

I won't mess with your code, Jack; I'll just use what you've given me, and modify it to suit my purposes.

I'll give TextWrangler a try.

Thanks everyone for helping, and if anyone has more suggestions, I'm open to them.

Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck M:
This is a hand-coded HTML code. I'm not using any tools, except TextEdit and Word. I tried to use MS Word v.X to make an HTML file, which as far I can determine, just appends the .html suffix to the text.

I don't want to buy any tools now, and I want to learn HTML code. eBay got me interested in HTML code last month.

I second Jack's suggestion and stay far away from Word.

I understand about you trying to learn how to Hand code but that is like saying I want to learn how to use a computer, I'll pass on a Mac and get something that runs DOS and command line interface.

I am not a professional web designer but I do have an interest in it as a "hobby". I find the best way to learn and/or do it is use a good WSYWIG web design app to do things and then look at the Source code of what it did (similar to what Jack did to resolve your problem).

Although I would recommend the latest version of GoLive for this (the split code window makes what I mentioned above beautiful and easy for learning), it is expensive for just doing ebay auctions and such.

Some good free WYSIWYG web editors that allow U to also play the code include:

Nvu (pronounced N-view) A complete Web Authoring System for Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver. Nvu (which stands for "new view") makes managing a web site a snap. Now anyone can create web pages and manage a website with no technical expertise or knowledge of HTML.

WYSIWYG editing of pages, making web creation as easy as typing a letter with your word processor.

Integrated file management via FTP. Simply login to your web site and navigate through your files, editing web pages on the fly, directly from your site.

Reliable HTML code creation that will work with all of today's most popular browsers.

Jump between WYSIWYG Editing Mode and HTML using tabs.

I haven't used it in a while but it looked pretty cool for a free editor. It will be more than enough to do eBay html and to cut your teeth on learning Hand code (or better yet - the basic principles of web design).

There are a few others but I forgot what they are called.

Also don't forget Netscape and Seamonkey web browsers have Web Page Composer modules built into the App. They are much better than trying to use Word to do a web page.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your recommendation, Art, and will try Nvu. I have read a little bit about web design, but I am not so interested in web design as to buy a full-blown application. I am most interested in learning to manually code, and learning about coding tools. So, you've helped with that goal.

One thing I noticed in hand coding my website was that in publishing to .Mac, it adds "tons" of code. That's where all the extraneous code comes from in Jack's example (which I asked about).

Another possible snafu generated from publishing on .Mac is duplication of HTML tags. There are 3! See the erroneous code generated by .Mac by going to my latest test website .

Does anyone know how to edit "published" code on .Mac? I want to remove excessive, verbose codes.

Thanks everyone.

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
How did you get this onto .Mac? If you used any of their tools, this sort of thing will happen. If you don't want them messing with your page, just place the code in your Sites folder of your iDisk. Do NOT use ANY .Mac tools. Once you use their tools, you shouldn't edit the page by hand - you might screw up the links with .Mac.

You should probably go to .Mac Help and search for "Using another authoring tool" to get a full explanation (it won't let me copy the text for some reason).

===

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
I suggest BBedit. I used it when learned HTML and it is for Mac. It has been around for a long, long time and is a mature product.
<http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/>

Check out the full feature list
<http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/features.shtml>
or download the fully-functional demo
<http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/demo.shtml>
and try it out for yourself! Once you try it, you may very want to own it. But the trial will give you an excellent feel for what you can and cannot do with HTML.

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Donna's suggestion of BBedit is a good one, but I think it has to be purchased. Jack's recommendation of TextWrangler is by the same company, and is a free download.

I'm not expert at web coding - Use GoLive - but have found this site and their tutorials quite excellent:
http://www.westciv.com/index.html

This is an Australian company. Their main product, Style Master, produces CSS coding, which is (I think) the current standard for producing lean efficient sites. (CSS complements XHTML, but does not replace it.) It is possible to set up GoLive to default to StyleMaster for the CSS elements.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Yes, TextWrangler is the free, "lite" version of BBEdit, and more than full-featured enough for someone starting out (also remember, Chuck doesn't want to buy any programs at this time).

Chuck, as you're just starting, get yourself a good book (or if you prefer, find an online tutorial - personally, I prefer books as my primary source and use the web as extra material) that will teach you XHTML and CSS, not just HTML, which is being slowly phased out in favor of XHTML. No point in learning to do things in the way that's being left behind, even if it does work and will work for some time to come.

CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) describe how the page will look - font style, size, background colors, left/right/centering, etc. HTML has these elements now, but the move to XHTML is partially to separate the two. For one or two web pages, this doesn't really matter - but consider doing up a site like the Apple site, or Adobe - you want the text size and style, backgrounds, headlines, link colors, etc. consistent across hundreds, maybe thousands of pages. Then suppose you decide to change the style. With CSS. you could have all those pages use the same style sheet - and thus change them all simply by changing one file.

There are other new features of XHTML, many to help make pages more dynamic. There is a lot of good information on the web, starting with the World Wide Web Consortium. Some of the pages there are overly-technical, as they are the keeper of the standards, but many have good explanations of the how and why of XHTML and CSS.

One more thing - one of the best learning tools you have is your web browser. When you find an interesting site, your the view source command (in Safari it's View->Source, in other browsers it's elsewhere). You'll be able to see exactly what was written, similar to what Art suggested with a WYSIWYG program. You can copy and paste the code into a text editor and play with it yourself. Often, you won't have the graphics or any scripting code, as that's elsewhere on the site, but you can get a good idea of how things are done.

It's certainly not a bad idea to get ahold of a program like Art suggested and let it generate some code for you to see. That why, you can make some incremental changes and see what happens. Just use a program designed for web design, like the one he linked to, instead of something that can generate HTML, like Word or TextEdit.

I have used Dreamweaver and GoLive, and while I don't do a lot of web work, so far I prefer GoLive. Its code editor is better, and it just seems more intuitive to me. I find myself bouncing between the two sections - using the graphic side for boring stuff like placing pictures and changing fonts, and the code side to fine tune or add some scripting or other special touches. Let the program do the boring grunt work and leave me the interesting coding bits! But I started out learning with just the TextWrangler text editor. It really does help to understand how to do it by hand - then you can tweak the stuff you get from a GoLive or DreamWeaver without spending all the tedious time doing all boring parts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===

Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Also don't forget that you can download Adobe GoLive CS2 and Dreamweaver 8 as fully functional 30 day trials.

I applaud your efforts to learn/write html from scratch. That's how I learned it to. However, after using a visual tool I could never imagine going back to doing by hand from scratch. Yes, I do get in there from time to time and tweak the code by hand, but I always start with a visual tool to get the bulk of the work done quickly.

Both Dreamweaver and GoLive allow you to see both the visual mode and HTML code at the same time. This way you can write code and see your results as you do it and vice versa. You can lay things out and learn by seeing the code that is written.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
download the FULLY-FUNCTIONING DEMO

<http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/demo.shtml and try it out for yourself!

No money involved

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post