Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    Bought a domain name-now what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a domain name-now what?
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
I am so new to web design, I plan on creating my own web page, but don't know a thing about what to do. I found this deal on domain names here so I decided to buy one. Now what do I need to do to go from there? I do not have a host or .mac account, just wondering what my next step would be?

Thanks,
Natalie

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
You need a hosting service. Rates now are VERY competitive, and MG people will have lots of suggestions.

Don't know how it works if you take your own domain name to .mac, as I don't use it.

This has been my service for 10 yrs. or more. Basic hosting currently on sale "as low as $2.95/mo."

http://www.domainhost.com/domainhost/index.bml

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mary Jo! That's a great start! One last question for anyone to answer:

What is the best way to create a web page-or is there special software through he host that you can use? I have Adobe Image Ready and Go Live and Photoshop-is there one software that you would use over the other?

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I would use Go Live. That is the purpose of the application ... to create web sites and maintain them.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Yes, of those 3, GoLive is the only one that is designed specifically to maintain web sites.

However, GoLive has very low market share and was bumped out of the CS suite by Dreamweaver. It may not be around much longer. If you want to learn the industry standard way of doing things, you might want to consider buying Dreamweaver.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
What you do with your domain is up to you. Hey that's your business pal!!! LOL!!

Mary Jo and Calvin have pretty good suggestions. I'll add a few of my own...

1: The first thing you need to do is add what is called an "A" record to your domain. What this does is tell your domain what server to point to. You can add as many as you like and point each one where you want. For instance, if you had mydomain.com, you could create a few a records like this...
www.mydomain.com
myhouse.mydomain.com
testserver.mydomain.com
thisotherserver.mydomain.com
AndSoOn.mydomain.com.

Note: Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to use "WWW" in front of your domain to point to your website, it's just the most popular. You can use whatever you want.

2. Your DNS entries are stored on a DNS server. What server you use depends on where you have your site(s) hosted. Some make you use their DNS servers, some let you pick your own, most don't care and you could pick either way.

3. You can use Go Live to make your site but there are other choices. The most popular on he Market right now is DreamWeaver, I recommend it over GoLive but either is a good choice. If you're a Windows user you could even use FrontPage. It's pretty cheesy but if you have to bang out a web page pretty quick it's nice to use.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1421 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Thank you all this is a great start!

Natalie

Poobah
posted Hide Post
For the record, I also use GoLive CS2, and at this point don't plan to change to Dreamweaver. My site is pretty basic - no ecommerce or database - just info pages with some links mainly, although GoLive is very robust and can handle a lot of sophistication. The advantage with GoLive is the graphic interface that minimizes, if not eliminates, the amount of coding you need to know. It is also possible to add coding if you need to. (I had to add a little that was provided by a couple of sites I link to as an Affiliate.- not too difficult, but there is a learning curve.)

GoLive comes with some site templates that can get you started. Dreamweaver probably does too, but neither app is cheap.

If you plan on doing some studying, there are TONS of books on Dreamweaver available, virtually none on GoLive, at Borders, Amazon, etc. CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) combined with XHTML is a current trend, and produces gorgeous sites, fast and efficient.

Do a Google search using "CSS sites templates" and you'll be busy for the next couple of years.

A couple of sites to look at:

http://www.csszengarden.com/

http://www.westciv.com/

If your needs are not urgent, start small and learn as you go.
Good luck!

Posts: 2074 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Hi Natalie,

Only you can answer what's next.

What was your intent in getting the domain name in the first place?

What is the intended purpose of your web site?

Uses could range from:

Personal site for family/friends to access
A personal blog
Sharing photos
Promoting a business (service or product)
Learning about web design

You can certainly do all of the above with Adobe Go-Live; the learning curve can be quite steep for the hobbyist.

I've personally found that I can produce good looking, highly functional sites much more quickly using the template-based "Rapidweaver."

http://www.realmacsoftware.com

Check it out!

Andrew Smile

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Andrew - RapidWeaver looks very appealing, and certainly the price is right.

Couldn't find a sample of the interface on the site. Is it graphic or code oriented?

Jedi Knight
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary Jo,

Probably the best way to get a sense of Rapidweaver's user interface is to watch the excellent video pocast from Don McAllister, "ScreenCastsOnline."

Don has don several Rapidweaver tutorials, many of them available as a free download.

This one is probably the most pertinent.

You don't need to know any 'code' to use Rapidweaver; however, if you do, you can use that knowledge to customize the look and feel of your web pages.

Although Rapidweaver is fully functional by itself, its capabilities can be exctended by the purchase of third-party plug-ins. These tend to be good value for money and can be purchased on an a-la-carte basis.

I have personally found the "Blocks" plug-in to be particularly useful.

You can view the Screencast on "Blocks" here.

Rapidweaver has allowed me to quickly create a web site that, quite frankly, would've taken me a month of Sundays to achieve with either Go-Live or Dreamweaver.

I hope that's helpful; let me know if you have further questions.

Andrew Smile

Posts: 152 | Registered: December 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Natalie. Looks like you've gotten a lot of great advice so far. I would only like to add that depending on how extensive your site will be, and your capability and comfort level with GoLive, Photoshop/ImageReady, you might look into the interactivity of these programs, to establish a workflow. I've used the following workflow many times to design and construct websites.

• Sometimes, I'll do some initial design in Illustrator - and, bring the paths into Photoshop.
• If you are comfortable in Photoshop, you can design all of your web pages in Photoshop, including slicing, create rollover buttons, enter URL links and more.
• Switch your Photoshop file over to ImageReady (unless you are using CS3, as it is done entirely in Photoshop).
• Once in ImageReady you can optimize all the images for web, and export all the slices and the HTML. You can even export DIV slices.
• When you open the HTML file in GoLive, the entire page opens as a table, with all the slices in position, and the source code written.
•In GoLive you can make further edits, and when finished, upload the entire site to your host server and manage it.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Padawan
posted Hide Post
Natalie

Your questions remind me of some I was asking about a year ago. My key one: can I design my web site myself? For several months I believed I could.

Then a friend with a marketing business offered to write my web site text in exchange for my coaching skills. She recommended a great logo designer. Dave McGuire recommended MacGroup member Brent Mitchell to do my web design.

When I look at how much the four of us contributed to the design and learned from each other, I chuckle at my earlier thought of doing my web site myself. Of course, you may be way ahead of me at this sort of thing.

You might consider contacting Brent Mitchell at http://balancedi.com/ to explore a contract in which you do some of the work and he does some of it. You can see a portfolio of his designs on his site, and you can see my web site which Brent, a writer, a logo designer and I created at http://davidsniderassociates.com/

My hosting is with GoDaddy, and so far I am satisfied. David

Posts: 84 | Registered: April 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your great help and advice! I have many options to explore and much work ahead of me. Luckily I am only doing this for myself, so no major concern, I hope to learn as I go-especially with all of your great help and hints, I think I can come up with something simple and useful-Photoshop, Illustrator I am very comfortable with, I will need to read up on Golive.

Natalie