Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    GoLive discontinued
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GoLive discontinued
 Login/Register

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted
Hopefully, this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone: MacWorld - Adobe discontinues GoLive.

I switched over to DreamWeaver when the end looked near last year, and since I hadn't done a lot with GoLive at that point, the transition was not as painful for me as it is/will be for some. Since I am now doing a lot of work in ColdFusion now, though, DreamWeaver has been a great platform for that. There are still things about GoLive that are a lot better, but DreamWeaver is a pretty good product for the most part, and works well for the stuff I'm doing.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the news, Jack.

I guess we all saw the writing on the wall when Adobe shipped/bundled Dreamweaver, instead of GoLive, in the CS3 Suites. Personally, I hate to see it go as I got so used to working with it. I'm attempting the switch to Dreamweaver, though I'm struggling with it somewhat. So, I guess it's time to hit the books hard again, and double my efforts at getting comfortable with Dreamweaver. No choice but to go with the flow, and try to keep up with ever changing technology.

I do hope that Adobe will bring some of the better parts of GoLive into Dreamweaver, and make it just a touch more GUI friendly for the visual designers.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
quote:
No choice but to go with the flow.

An old guy once told me

"Only Dead Wood goes with the flow"

I too was an occasional Go Live fan. It was the first real web tool that I used. I love the pre maded grid that allowed drag and drop. I have not used Dreamweaver, hopefully it has the same feature.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I found this link to aid in making the switch from GoLive to Dreamweaver. Essentially, a complete set of video tutorials - free. I'm in the process of viewing them, and they are very well done. Hopefully, other GoLive users will also find it helpful.

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/dreamweaver/articles/...olivemigration.html#

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Gawet,

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post