Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    best cheap web design app for 10.82
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

best cheap web design app for 10.82
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
i use to use golive.
but I couldn't afford when I updated my my creative suite. Plus i had a hard time with it. I just want a basic web site app but I want to be able to design pages and not always use templets. I don't know how to code.
Sandvox?? Freeway Express??
Any help appreciated.

Suggestions for free blogs would be great too.

thanks Kelly

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't used it, but look into Adobe Muse.

BTW, GoLive was discontinued a long time ago, and probably wouldn't even run on any newer OS. It was replaced by Adobe Dreamweaver.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine suggested www.wix.com. I've never used it. try googling "free html editor mac". I think you can still download iWeb
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/20372/apple-iweb. But you would have to know how to post your site.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Here's an article discussing several apps, including Muse.
http://www.macworld.com/articl...sign_on_the_mac.html

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
This may not be a realistic answer, but I've visited sites that look like they were done in Wordpress or something - essentially blog sites with expanded capability, links, etc.

The best app likely depends on the complexity your site requires, or interface you want.

Don't know about pricing.

Another thought: I think some site hosting services provide some templates for creating a site, including ecommerce setups. Again, think about what the site needs. However, if one decides to move to a different hosting service, that may mean redoing the site. (???) Any ideas or experience, anyone?

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
Wordpress can be super simple or super complex, and might not be the best solution for Kelly. Wordpress was initially created as a blogging tool, with pre-designed templates. Wordpress is free. A simple Wordpress blog can be easily created and managed from pre-designed templates. More info about a simple Wordpress Blog.

But, since Wordpress is based on databases, with a lot of coding, it's a lot more difficult to create a custom-designed site that doesn't look like a blog - and, needs to reside on a server, host, or would have to be designed using a virtual server. Personally, it think doing a custom Wordpress site from scratch is considerably more difficult than using Dreamweaver. There are a lot of benefits to Wordpress custom-designed sites, including the ability to have multiple users easily update the site (once it's set up). I doubt it's the solution for Kelly, unless she wanted to take the simple "blog" approach using a pre-designed blog structure. More info on a custom-designed Wordpress Site. .

In almost all cases where hosting companies provide free or low cost site designs, you can't take the design with you if you decide to switch hosting companies.

posted Hide Post
I am setting up a wordpress photoblog for a trip planned in a few months. i have i working but wondered if there was anyone in the group with some expertise in fine tuning a theme. specifically, changing the title font and removing the "comments" area. also what about easily changing photo size and position on the page (like iWeb)

Posts: 7 | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike:
I am setting up a wordpress photoblog for a trip planned in a few months. i have i working but wondered if there was anyone in the group with some expertise in fine tuning a theme. specifically, changing the title font and removing the "comments" area. also what about easily changing photo size and position on the page (like iWeb)

There is a Custom Design upgrade available from Wordpress, here. It offers some limited customization which may help you achieve what you want to do. Custom Design will allow you to change the title font and you may be able to change the photo size and position. Ideally, you should have some basic knowledge of CSS - though there may be some instructions to walk you through it. You should be able to remove the Comments area, without the need of the upgrade. In addition, there is a lot of specific information in the Support section of Wordpress.