Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    No GoLive in Creative Suite upgrade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No GoLive in Creative Suite upgrade
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted
Well folks, now we know. According to Tidbits email newsletter, Sept.6 issue, Adobe dumped GoLive from the Creative Suite. -But will continue to develop it, possibly as an "entry level" application.

As soon as Adobe bought Macromedia, the handwriting was on the wall. - Not from any Adobe announcement at that time, but all you had to do was walk into any bookstore and look at the display of books on web development. Shelves are loaded with books on the (formerly) Macromedia products, with perhaps 2 or 3 books of any kind on GL. It's been that way for a long time - not just since Adobe's purchase.

I personally had another clue: The GL CS2 "Classroom in a Book" was delayed for months. I ordered it twice to use the discount offer that came with purchase of CS2, and had the order eventually cancelled by Adobe twice because it wasn't available yet, so I gave up on it. Don't know if it ever did come out.

I for one will continue with GoLive, mainly because I just can't afford the time to learn a new, sophisticated application - nor the money to purchase "just to see what it's like". If Adobe makes GL even simpler, so much the better, as my site is not complicated. Actually there is probably a market for a "mid-range" application, if iWeb (which I haven't tried) and others are limited to VSS ("very simple sites" - my acronym).

Onward.

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of macjeff
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mary concerning the need for a good Mid-Range Web page creation appication. I have used GoLive primary because I wanted to create pull down menus with multiple built-in password protection. I don't create web sites that often, so everytime I use GoLive ( like any other higher end application ) I have to re-learn some of it. Not that its really hard but its not always obvious

Go AAPL ..... :-)

----- 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther , 10.4 Tiger, 10.5 Leopard, 10.X = ( Cougar or Lynx ) -----
----- When was the last time Apple updated a product ..... http://www.mactimeline.com/ -----

Posts: 1796 | Location: Washington, Michigan | Registered: June 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
A little bit of clarification: Adobe GoLive CS2 still remains as part of the Creative Suite 2 Premium. It has not been "dumped" from this version.

With the introduction of Creative Suite 2 Premium 2.3 you get Acrobat 8 Professional (a Universal Binary) and Dreamweaver 8 IN ADDITION TO Photoshop CS2, InDesign CS2, Illustrator CS2, GoLive CS2, Bridge, Adobe Stock Photos and Version Cue.

Existing owners of the Creative Suite 2 Premium can upgrade to 2.3 for $159 which gets you Acrobat 8 Professional AND Dreamweaver 8.

Existing Creative Suite 1.x Standard or Premium owners can upgrade to Creative Suite 2 Premium for $549 and get all the apps mentioned above including Dreamweaver 8, GoLive CS2 and Acrobat 8 Professional.

Existing owners of Acrobat 7 Professional or Acrobat 7 Standard can upgrade to Acrobat 8 Professional for $159.

Acrobat 8 will only come in the Professional version for the Mac. Why no Standard version? Because most Mac users either bought Professional or got Acrobat 7 Professional via the Creative Suite Premium. Standard users can upgrade for the same $159 and get all the Professional features.

Creative Suite 3 - Coming in Q2/2007
will be a Universal Binary and will include Dreamweaver IN PLACE of GoLive. GoLive CS3 A NEW VERSION (if that's what it's called) will be sold as a standalone app.

Why Dreamweaver instead of GoLive? Because Dreamweaver is the industry standard professional web layout tool.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Art P.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:

will be a Universal Binary and will include Dreamweaver IN PLACE of GoLive. GoLive CS3 A NEW VERSION (if that's what it's called) will be sold as a standalone app.

Why Dreamweaver instead of GoLive? Because Dreamweaver is the industry standard professional web layout tool.

I have followed the Adobe Webdesign line since Pagemill and I personally will be sorry to see GoLive "downgraded" to a "Non-Professional" App.

I just hope Adobe looks inward towards part of it's existing line (Photoshop/Photoshop Elements) and promotes and markets GoLive as a easy to use "Power App" targeted towards the consumer instead of the professional.

With a $99 or less price point and some clever marketing, Adobe could fill a long missing void in the inexpensive "retail boxed" Web Design app.

PS: GoLive's layout grid is the greatest thing since sliced bread, a LOT easier than placing stuff in tables, wonder why it hasn't REALLY caught on. Especially since it has been improved with cleaner CSS code in recent versions.

- - - -
Macs make life simple... (Sometimes!)

Posts: 641 | Location: Detroit, MI USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Art/Mary
I think "downgraded to a Non-Professional App" is a bit strong and probably not true. Downgraded would imply that it's current professional features are going to be removed. Again, not likely. While I can't reveal any details, I can say that GoLive has been a tool that has always appealed to designers. As Art mentioned the Layout grid is great for people that want to layout a web page without thinking about the underlying structure (tables, CCS layers/objects, etc.) While Dreamweaver is also a good layout tool, it primarily appeals to coders and developers for its strengths in those areas.

I think there is room for BOTH products, just not in the same Suite, long term.

Don't expect GoLive to become a middle of the road $99 app with less features than it has today.

While I have very little experience with Dreamweaver, there are LOTS of things that IMHO GoLive does better/easier. I'm sure a Dreamweaver expert would be able to say the same about Dreamweaver.

As far as my personal use of web tools go, I plan to continue using GoLive until I learn Dreamweaver and more importantly until it has the same or better level of integration with the rest of the CS apps. That is KEY for me. Smart Objects is a deal breaker! Without them there is no way I could switch. So let's see what's in store for GoLive CS3 and Dreamweaver CS3?

It will be interesting to see how many people upgrade/buy GoLive separately in the CS3 timeframe. That's what will really determine its future from that point on.

quote:
Originally posted by Art P.:
quote:
Originally posted by Terry White:

I have followed the Adobe Webdesign line since Pagemill and I personally will be sorry to see GoLive "downgraded" to a "Non-Professional" App.

I just hope Adobe looks inward towards part of it's existing line (Photoshop/Photoshop Elements) and promotes and markets GoLive as a easy to use "Power App" targeted towards the consumer instead of the professional.

With a $99 or less price point and some clever marketing, Adobe could fill a long missing void in the inexpensive "retail boxed" Web Design app.

PS: GoLive's layout grid is the greatest thing since sliced bread, a LOT easier than placing stuff in tables, wonder why it hasn't REALLY caught on. Especially since it has been improved with cleaner CSS code in recent versions.

----

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
This is a quote from TidBITS#847/18-Sep-06:
"Adobe says that GoLive will continue to be developed as a standalone
program, although it's unclear to what audience it would appeal.
Credible rumors indicate GoLive may be revamped to be a friendlier
Web design tool, with a focus on entry-level users."

This is, as stated, "rumor," but actually I think Art & I agree that it could be a POSITIVE market opportunity for Adobe: Keep GL with all its capabilities, but continue to develop it for those who don't need php, lots of scripting, etc., etc. in developing their sites. That has to be a HUGE market. I have no problem with designating Dreamweaver as a "professional" app of choice. (And wouldn't it be nice to have an "install" sequence that allows one to include only the features needed to avoid bloated apps!)

Perhaps Adobe might consider an average-consumer "suite" with PSElements, GoLive, and some as-yet-to-be-developed "simpler" page layout and (maybe) vector graphic apps to be added.

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
posted Hide Post
Forgot this: Apparently Tidbits is mistaken:

"The fate of Web design and management tool Adobe GoLive has been
sealed: the program has been booted from Creative Suite, Adobe's
bundle of applications designed for print and electronic production
professionals. Dreamweaver 8 will replace GoLive CS2 in version 2.3
of Creative Suite,"

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
How hard is it for them to look at a web site? Sometimes these "news" sites crack me up.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
Yup, they got it wrong!

quote:
Originally posted by Mary Jo Disler:
Forgot this: Apparently Tidbits is mistaken:

"The fate of Web design and management tool Adobe GoLive has been
sealed: the program has been booted from Creative Suite, Adobe's
bundle of applications designed for print and electronic production
professionals. Dreamweaver 8 will replace GoLive CS2 in version 2.3
of Creative Suite,"

----

CS 2.3

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Personally I've always liked Dreamweaver better than GoLive. With virtually no support for PHP, GoLive was never much of an option for us. In professional web developemnt you need a practical way to tie your front end web pages to your back end Database and GoLive never provided many options.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post