Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    Can't open Slideshow in Fireworks CS4-
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can't open Slideshow in Fireworks CS4-
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted
I created a slideshow in Fireworks a few weeks ago, but when I try to reopen it (in Fireworks) to edit the .xml file it is grayed out and won't let me. Are you able to revise a picture slideshow in Fireworks? Is there a better way to create a picture slideshow for a website?

Thanks

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
I've never used Fireworks, so I can't answer your first question.

But, there are other ways to create slideshows for the web, that might be easier. I've done numerous slideshows using QuickTime Pro. A fair amount of control including some transitions and use of audio. And the best part is that you can determine the file output file size and format for web use (a huge plus). You can also create Slideshows with Flash, though a little more complicated and time-consuming to do. If you are looking for more than a simple slideshow, you can easily create a slideshow gallery from within Photoshop.

I can post some links to examples of all of the above, if you'd like to see my end results.

Posts: 684 | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Mike, I have never created a slideshow in Photoshop-will CS4 have this capability? Can you please post some links, I would love to see!
Thanks!

Posts: 462 | Location: Livonia | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of Jamie
posted Hide Post
You can use Bridge to create some slick slideshows, even a Flash version. Check it out under Output. I think Terry showed this some time ago.

There is also iMovie and iPhoto and even iDVD that will create slideshows.

quote:
Originally posted by artphanto:
Mike, I have never created a slideshow in Photoshop-will CS4 have this capability? Can you please post some links, I would love to see!
Thanks!

Jamie

Posts: 554 | Location: West Bloomfield | Registered: June 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks!

http://www.spectrumconstruct.com/projectmovies.html#
In this first link I believe that I may have originally created the slideshows using iPhoto, then adjusted the file sizes in QuickTime Pro. Some editing can also be done in QuickTime Pro, afterwards. As Jamie mentioned, you can also start with iMovie or iDVD. Once you get to the web page, just click on any of the Play buttons to view the slideshows. Note that the Introduction is identical for all three, and is a digital movie with layered audio (music). It's been awhile since I did the digital movie, but I believe that I used a combination of iPhoto, iMovie, an audio program and finally QuickTime Pro.

http://www.stwilliam-school.com/
The slideshow for this home/intro page was done in Flash.

http://www.digiartcreations.com/mga/mgagallery4b.html
The galleries/slideshows on this link were created in Photoshop CS3. There are multiple slideshows in the gallery which can be accessed in the "Select" drop-down menu. Note that the slideshow galleries generate a .xml file (I guess similar to Fireworks). The creation of them is very automated, and some are not Flash based. To use the automated process in Photoshop, just go to the Menu/File/Automate/Web Photo Gallery... Though the .xml file can't be opened or edited in Flash, some minor edits can be done in the code of the .xml file by opening it in Dreamweaver.

I hope it helps seeing some various end results. I'm sure that there are other third party programs available for slideshow creation.

Jedi Knight
Picture of artphanto
posted Hide Post
Perfect! Thanks to both of you!

Mike- the gallery that you created in Photoshop CS3 is perfect! I really didn't know Photoshop could do that!!! Thank you!

Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike- the gallery that you created in Photoshop CS3 is perfect! I really didn't know Photoshop could do that!!! Thank you!

Glad to help. The Web Photo Gallery has been available for quite awhile in Photoshop. Depending on what you intend to finally achieve, setting up a page with multiple galleries can be a touch more involved and relies on Dreamweaver and some coding. Give a shout if you have any questions along the say.

iBBS Addict
Picture of CHunter
posted Hide Post
FYI:
As of PS CS4, those web gallery features (plug-ins) were
removed from PS and placed in the Bridge "Output" workspace.

However, you can still manually load some of those plug-ins back
into PS CS4 and CS5.

For CS5 see:
Photoshop CS5 Plug-ins

For CS4 see:
Photoshop CS4 Plug-ins

Posts: 1624 | Registered: June 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
Picture of George Little
posted Hide Post
FWIW You are able to make some very nice slideshows is Keynote and they are easily edited. I don't know if it will open your Fireworks slide show or not but it might be worth checking out. I use Keynote and it's outstanding.

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Posts: 840 | Location: Farmington | Registered: March 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Council Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHunter:
FYI:
As of PS CS4, those web gallery features (plug-ins) were
removed from PS and placed in the Bridge "Output" workspace.

However, you can still manually load some of those plug-ins back
into PS CS4 and CS5.

Thanks for the clarification of where it's located. I'm glad that the Web Gallery still exists. Wow - I guess that I'm really getting behind in things. I've been stuck with CS3 for quite awhile because of computer minimum requirement limitations and money. I hadn't realized that the Web Gallery had been moved to Bridge. I do look at the Adobe Suite New Releases, but it's like Bill Cosby said in one of his routines "I'm like a hungry, poor person watching someone eat a steak".