Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Web Publishing    BLOG Help
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BLOG Help
 Login/Register

Picture of thebunk
posted
Can anyone suggest someone to help in setting up a
BLOG for a local community action group?

Bunker

Posts: 6 | Location: Beverly Hills. Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: April 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
You need to give us details:

Will multiple people be updating the blog?

Are you willing to pay?

Are ads acceptable on your blog pages?

Do you need multimedia available?

What sort of computers will the bloggers use? Macs? Win95? Win98? Win 2000? Win XP? All of these?

How many hits per month do you expect?

What type of "community action"? (I ask because it may determine if you can even use a free service or not).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jack Beckman,

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebunk
posted Hide Post
The BLOG we would like to be like is:
www.bhambuzz.org

Ck. it out and tell me what you think.
Costs are always a consideration but doing it right is our wish.
Thanks

Posts: 6 | Location: Beverly Hills. Michigan, U.S.A. | Registered: April 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
I guess I'd start by registering there so you can log-in and send a message to Clinton Baller, who appears to be the Admin. Ask him about the software he's using and his hosting service. He'd probably be happy to point out what he's using and how it works.

The only thing about the site I don't like is that the columns seem too narrow, especially the center column, but that might just be me. Otherwise, it looks pretty nice.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebunk
posted Hide Post
jack - I agree with your observations. The sites
administrator had someone do the original setup that has since moved away. Do you have some suggestions into someone that can help?

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Not me, sorry, but hopefully one of our other members will chime in...?

The small amount of blogging I do is easily accomplished with iWeb, but I don't think that's heavy-duty enough for what you want.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
There are some basic questions you need to answer up front before you begin..

1: Do you want to host it or have it hosted somewhere else. If you host it, where and what OS platform?

2: What blog software do you want to use? pMachine is still somewhat popular.

3: Host your blog on a blogging site that already exists? Blogger? MySpace? Yahoo 360?

4: If you host it, do you have Web developers at hand to start setting things up?

5: Have you purchased a Domain yet? thebunkblog.com??

6: How many people are going to be hitting this thing daily? 10? 100? 1000?

You should gather up the people that are going to be involved with this and do some brain storming.

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

The only fish in a stream that just "go with the flow" are the dead ones

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Past President
Picture of Terry White
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Blogger.com. It's FREE, it's easy and you could be blogging within minutes after you setup your account.

World famous guys like Scott Kelby use it for their blogs.

----
You can never go wrong by doing the right thing.

http://terrywhite.com

There are two kinds of computer users: those who have lost data and those who are about to — backup your Mac!

Posts: 6152 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I would concurr with Terry. I set up a Blog quite easy and quick there.

Hey Beckman? What does BLOG stand for anyway?

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebunk
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Blogger Suggestion. I have been to it. I don't think it offers the flexibility we need. I may be wrong or maybe I need help in how to get it to allow things we want to do such as LiNKs to current News Articles as an example and to be able to set the Template in a fasion different then the preset ones. Again maybe I just need SMARTER fingers of someone out there.

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey Beckman? What does BLOG stand for anyway?

BLOG is short for "Web Log"

========================
Ignorance breeds fear and fear breeds stupidity. Knowledge is the key to overcoming your fears

Posts: 1418 | Location: Clawson, MI USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
HA! Paul's got you covered. Trying to draw me out into another post with an easy question, eh? Well, I won't fall for...d'oh!

===

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Again maybe I just need SMARTER fingers of someone out there.

Ummm... I don't think so. You have all the help you need right here (to get you started anyway.) Jack, Terry, Calvin and myself. Not to mention countless others.

I really think you should go through the list I typed up, add any other variables you think you need and decide what to do from there.

If flexibility is what you really require, I would suggest purchasing 3rd party blogging software and having it hosted at a remote site.

If you go this route, you will most likely need someone that speaks PHP fluently as most blogging software is written in it. Someone that knows some SQl and knows how to setup MySQL or some other Database back-end would most likely be needed too.

FYI - OSX Server from Apple has a built in Blogging system. Many people are unaware of this.

========================

Picture of thebunk
posted Hide Post
Jack & Paul
I have sent you both Private Emails answering questions and asking others.

If you haven't received them please let me know.

Bunker

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Bunk,

I went to www.bhambuzz.org

Their blog is running pmachine

Jack... sorry! Didn't mean to steal your thunder!! Razz

========================

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
posted Hide Post
Paul,

Oh, please - nothing to apologize for! The board is here for all members to help each other. I certainly have no problem when someone else answers a question before me - I think it's great! I was hoping someone else would jump in, as my blogging experience is pretty low (although I *did* know what "blog" stood for<g.). I just know what questions to ask in general, and hoped to get the discussion moving.

The more members that participate and help each other, the better.

The blog system in OS X server is not too bad, and looks like it will be much better under Leopard.

Bunker,

No mail as of yet.

===

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Jack... Check your iBBS private messages.

========================

Picture of thebunk
posted Hide Post
HI Guys
I went to pMachine.

It may be more then my fingers are capable of?

So I'm back to the Beginning of needing someone with some capabilities.

If OS x server would be a produce i need to get thats fine - I just need direction.

Bunk

Jedi Master
Picture of Paul
posted Hide Post
Of course, the $64,000 question that I forgot to ask... what size budget are you working with? How much are they willing to spend?

Believe me, that will dictate what path you take more than any other factor!!

========================

iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
If it's a Web Log why isn't it a WLOG instead of a BLOG?

I guess it really doesn't matter.

Beckman, what are you saying about me?

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1727 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post