Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Battery problem on MacBookPro 9,2
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battery problem on MacBookPro 9,2
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
My battery runs down fast. If I get a new one from OWC is there someone coming to the next meeting that could install it?

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
I plan to be there and will try to remember my tool kit. I need to locate my trilobe driver which is separate from the kii. You need to have done your backups.

(I am assuming you mean the battery in the MacBook Pro, not your battery - that is out of my competence. My battery runs down faster these days too.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: James R. Cutler,

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks, James. I am usually out of town so much that this is the first meeting I think I will be able to attend in a long time. I did look at the video. It doesn't look too difficult except for those teensy screws. At the end of that video it showed how to reset the Power Manager; I did that, and will see if that may have improved the si6tuation. If not, I will order that new battery asap.

Posts: 2269 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of James R. Cutler
posted Hide Post
OWC sells batteries with the special drier needed for the trilobe screws. I have not investigated any other source.

Posts: 1968 | Registered: January 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
This is what Battery Health says about my battery which is 5 years old.Do you think I should replace it?

Zip/GZ archiveMacBookPro_battery_health_report_7jan17.rtfd.zip (112 Kb, 20 downloads) Battery Health report

Guru
Picture of Jack Beckman
AIM: Online Status For jcbeckman@mac.com
posted Hide Post
85% after 5 years? That's pretty good. I'm not sure I would be in a hurry to replace that.

===
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: “Nothing is impossible. Not if you can imagine it. That’s what being a scientist is all about.”
Cubert J. Farnsworth: “No, that’s what being a magical elf is all about.”

Posts: 5470 | Location: Sterling Heights, Mi | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Thanks. By the way, Apple just replaced my charger for that laptop even though it was well out of warranty. It had a worn spot on the cable near where it plugs into the computer. I love Apple!

Poobah
Picture of Mary Jo Disler
posted Hide Post
Not sure this is relevant, but re the charger: We have 2 Consumer Cellular flip phones that came with USB charge cords, AND a separate electric plug to connect USB to a wall outlet. Some months back one of the phones wouldn't charge even after hours connected. Customer Service said I could purchase a new charge cord rather than getting a new phone. After ordering, I noticed the USB connection and tried charging on a computer USB port. Worked just fine! So the problem was the electric plug, not the cord after all.
Kept the new charge cord anyway, and noticed the electric plug was a new conformation, so they apparently knew of the problem. My solution: purchase USB hub wall charger.
(purchased at special discount from OWC. - link to Sabrent site here)

https://www.sabrent.com/produc...-wall-charger-white/

"For what is age but youth's full bloom,
A riper, more transcendent youth" - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Posts: 2066 | Location: West Bloomfield MI USA | Registered: June 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post