Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Resetting my System Management Controller (SMC) on my imac isnt helping
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resetting my System Management Controller (SMC) on my imac isnt helping
 Login/Register

Jedi Knight
posted
My iMac bought Feb. 2013. with an Intel Core i5 keeps shutting off. I keep resetting my SMC by doing the unplug thing but it keeps turning off and have to do SMC multiple times a day. Is the computer going to go kaboom soon? Scared and don't know if there is anything else I can do. I thought my Indesign was the problem buy its not.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Kelly

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Genius
Picture of Phyllis Evans
posted Hide Post
From past experience, I'd guess that it's overheating and that's why it shuts itself down. Could be a bad fan, or it could be crud blocking the vents.

"I really need a new tagline"
—P M Evans

Posts: 3765 | Location: Redford, MI | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
iBBS Addict
Picture of Calvin
posted Hide Post
I would suggest strongly to do the following:

1) Make sure you have a backup of the machine in question.

2) Perhaps take it in to Apple for evaluation or cleaning.

My 2 cents.

Calvin Carson

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"portions of todays programming are reproduced by means of electrical transcriptions or tape recordings."

"....Mailbox!....Open.......... MailBox!"

"I was exposed to the GUI and have been stuck ever since!"

"Remember.. Under our clothes...we are all naked"

Posts: 1725 | Location: Detroit,MI,USA | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Couple of questions...

Are you using a good Surge Suppressor or Battery Backup system with your iMac?

Have you had any recent power outages?

How long has this been going on?

I would suggest you backup your data and make an appointment to your favorite Genius Bar. They can check out your system to determine what is starting to fail. My opinion is the Power Supply is going bad. Hopefully you have AppleCare and the repair would be free. If you didn't purchase AppleCare... the repair is really not that expensive.

Make your appointment and get it fixed ASAP!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2103 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
No surge suppressor or battery backup. Been going on for 2 weeks.
If I shut it down it starts up fine. but if it shuts off on its own I have to unplug and replug then it will start. I have it connected to a power strip and yes storms has flickered my lights recently. Power supply do you think?

Posts: 358 | Location: Oxford, MI | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
Also put smcFanControl on says 38 celsius and 1204 rpm. i thought it might be a fan issue?

Jedi Knight
posted Hide Post
i made my appointment going in on Fri Smile

Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
Buy a UPS/Battery Backup system as soon as you can. Use it and replace it every 4 years.

This is not a fan issue, but it is hardware related. I still suspect the Power Supply as the probable cause. Backup your data before going in just in case they think it is Software related.

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2103 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post