Home  •  Next Meeting  •  Contact Us  •  iCal  •  Check Email

MacGroup-Detroit    MacGroup iBBS    MacGroup iBBS  Hop To Forum Categories  Genius Bar - Troubleshooting - Hardware    Is this Mac book pro a good buy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is this Mac book pro a good buy?
 Login/Register

Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted
2017 Macbook Pro 13-inch, no touch bar,
Applecare expires October 16, 2020. 8GB Ram, 120 GM.
A neighbor has it for sale asking $900.

I purchased this computer from the U of M computer showcase in the fall. The computer cost 1350 before taxes and AppleCare. The AppleCare coverage cost over 300 dollars, making the computer cost more than 1600 dollars. Thus, this is a really cheap deal.

The computer is in great condition. I use a case, and there are no obvious signs of wear.

I am only selling because I no longer need this computer for school, and need to generate some funds

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
If you are buying this computer... It is a very good deal!

It should have AppleCare+ based on the original sale date. That runs $269 and gives the owner 2 incidents of accidental damage coverage meaning a broken display would cost $99+ tax to be repaired. Liquid damage could be repaired at a cost of $299+ tax.

Original cost of computer would have been $1,299+ tax.

All in all a very good deal for a buyer!

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Dave, my current computer has 16 GB of RAM and 1 TB SSD drive. I’m wondering if eight gigs is enough nowadays and I keep a lot of stuff on my computer because I travel abroad where I don’t have access to Wi-Fi.I’m pretty sure this computer is not upgradable.What do you think about the size of the hard drive?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Donna,

Posts: 2286 | Location: Ann Arbor MI USA | Registered: October 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Dave
posted Hide Post
8gb of RAM is fine for simple tasks like email, web surfing, streaming music or video content. Photo editing would be OK as well. One thing it might slow you down on would be video editing/rendering.

Advantage of the new computer would be faster RAM and the SSD. Your current 1TB HD offers 8 times the storage but is much slower at reading/writing data. How full is your current HD? Could you take along an external HD when you are not able to access the internet?

Upgradability will not be an option for the new computer. The RAM (which allows you to run the OS and Programs on the SSD) is part of the logic board. The SSD could be replaced to a larger size but might be cost prohibitive. It could also void the AppleCare+ it has. You could check www.macsales.com for a replacement SSD cost and decide what it best for you.

I still believe this is a good value for most Users. As Terry White says... "your mileage may vary"

Dave McGuire
President - MacGroup Detroit

"What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?"

Posts: 2119 | Location: Orion Twp, Michigan | Registered: July 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
AIM: Online Status For suzdreyfus
posted Hide Post
Can I PM YOU

Posts: 102 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Poobah
Picture of Donna
posted Hide Post
Sure.

Jedi Knight
Picture of suzy
AIM: Online Status For suzdreyfus
posted Hide Post
I’m going to have to pass. No access to funds.

Posts: 102 | Location: Michigan | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post